Maine Fly Fish

Weed is legal as of next month in Maine. This means you're going to be running into fishermen legally smoking it. How are you going to react ?

Now there are a good number of us members here who have been in the brotherhood of the ganga, for a long time. Most (not me of course) have been tight lipped about their choice of entertainment .Will you now open up ?

I'm stirrin' the proverbial pot (pun intended) here for what humor it gives me, but this is an issue we will have to face, presently.

Your thoughts ?

Live and let live.  I try to live by that motto.  I don't smoke it, don't really want to have to smell it on the water, but I'm happy to move on down the river if I'm the one being bothered.  I will say that I will have no more patience for a high and obnoxious angler on the water than I do for a drunk one.  Although the high ones do tend to be more peaceful.   

• Like 3

for some reason I tend to concentrate more and longer in one pool even if I am not catching anything .....weird Ha :D

If it's legal, why would I say anything?  Seems a non-issue.

• Like 2

On 12/20/2016 at 11:52 AM, Water Rat said:

Live and let live.  I try to live by that motto.  I don't smoke it, don't really want to have to smell it on the water, but I'm happy to move on down the river if I'm the one being bothered.  I will say that I will have no more patience for a high and obnoxious angler on the water than I do for a drunk one.  Although the high ones do tend to be more peaceful.   

smells better than cigarette smoke :lol:

I think this is very much a non issue also! It's legal what's done is done. I don't think many fly fisherman really fish too buzzed! I know I have before while I was worm chucking with a bobber mostly because it's soooo boring! I don't think I could wield a fly rod or tie knots well with a buzz lol! I can see marijuana being used more frequently on lakes where you have lots of boaters and the partying type. Which is fine as long as they have a sober captain as far as I'm concerned!

• Like 1

Its about time! Weed is the last thing I worry about someone being intoxicated on! There's plenty of other things to worry about encountering someone on, perscription , alcohol and a host of others that alter peoples perceptions and judgement. Oh Yeah and then theres the all natural Touchholes!

Been a while since I've had any.

It was the '60s and early '70s when just about any gathering of young people featured it. Didn't do much for me. Probably a good thing that it didn't. Lots of money saved.

On 12/20/2016 at 11:52 AM, Water Rat said:

+1

I smoke and never had a problem with being just like a fisherman who doesn't I mean alcohol messes you up way worse. Never smoked and wasn't able to walk or ended up puking from to much. Christ I failed my license test sober the first time second time I smoked first and passed it helps to come my nerves. Reefer madness was purely propaganda 

I've smoked weed since 1977.(1st year in college ). Never got so stoned i couldn't function. Caught some of my best trout and salmon while high. it calms you and lets you relax completely which is ideal when concentrating on getting a drag free drift Different for the ocean, too many things that can kill you..

It's no different smokin' than drinkin' liquor. except you can drive, fish , whatever with little to no issue. No O.U.I. on drive home either.

Nowadays I use it as a pain killer and to modify my mood when I'm down or angry. Great stuff ! Also handy for getting rid of the pre-visit nerves associated with the in-laws dropping by.

Non issue really.  Might even get some good footage for America's Funniest Home Videos.

While hunting could be another issue around purchasing firearms.  Form 4473 asks and since it's still illegal at the federal level it's a disqualifier if you smoke and answer truthfully.  Lying on the from is also a no no.  

Any veterans also need to know that while legal at the state level, if it shows up in a whiz quiz, you'll get likely red flagged in the system and lose access to pain meds.  This also applies to medical marijuana, regardless of it's legality locally.

• Like 2

I have not looked into this issue as I do not partake and do not really care if others do or not as long as it is not around me. (I did vote for it as I believe in individual choices)

I personally do not care to share a pool with a guy who is stinking up the air around me, Pot is not a pleasant aroma in my opinion and I would simply move on up or down stream without a sticking around beyond a civil hello and greeting.

A do have a fishing buddy of who enjoys his herb but is polite enough to get out of the canoe and wander about in the bushes nearby when smoking it around others.

I was mentioning this topic to him and indicated that he would not need to sneak around anymore and could enjoy his smoke on the water, he said that is not the case.  This was his insight as someone who has a vested interest in the subject, he said despite being legal for recreational use, it is still not allowed in public. The law covers growth and use of the product in ones home only.

He said that he may grow 6 flowering plants and have up to 14 non flowering plants in his possession/home for personal use. He indicated that partaking of the herb outside of his domicile could lead to charges. It is apparently not legal to be transported in his vehicle, used in public, or to operate a motorized vehicle (car or boat) while under its influence.

So hopefully the tokers will not wade out into the same pool to pollute the air next to non puffing fishermen, if you do don't be offended when others simply wander off. 

Sixguns

I don't believe you'll see many "tokahs' out there.:lol: They're very good at not being seen enjoying their personal drug of choice. 'course there will always be peckerheads.:rolleyes: personally ,I'll be as cool about it as ever. Nothing really changes but now you don't need to sweat getting caught with a **** or something on you you probably forgot you had.Don't forget we(heads) got decades of paranoia to worry about .:unsure::lol:

What???? :( it's not called a Mary Jane anymore

Where am I ? Hey Buddy, which way to the bridge. Man, where did I hide the truck keys! Crap, do I turn left or right to get to Rangeley.

I was stationed in Colorado when they legalized. I didn't see much of a change to be honest with you guys. 

I was gonna say sumpthin' else, but i forgot !?

Doesn't matter much to me one way or another.  To be honest I'd rather see people light up than pop a few cold ones.  I guess it's just safer for those around you compared to alcohol. 

Maybe the advantage of smokers is that they won't leave their empty cans EVERYWHERE!

• Thanks 1