Maine Fly Fish
Kevin McKay

Western Maine Fly Fishing Expo March 18

6th Annual Western Maine Fly Fishing Expo

Opening day of Maine's 2017 fishing season is rapidly approaching and now is the time to prepare for that day. The Mollyockett Chapter of Trout Unlimited and sponsor Yeti Coolers is bringing everything you need to prepare for that day together under one roof at the Western Maine Fly Fishing Expo. Saturday March 18th at the Bethel Inn Conference Center there will be nearly 40 exhibitors in the main conference room, a large selection of fishing related silent auction items to bid on, raffles throughout the day. a kids fly tying bench, well known guest speakers, and in the evening a showing of the latest Fly Fishing Film Tour feature film.

This year's exhibitors include guides and outfitters, sporting camps in Maine, New Brunswick, and Labrador, fishing equipment representatives, fly fishing shops, fly tiers, rod builders, artists, authors, and organizations associated with fly fishing. Our guest speakers are award winning fly tier Selene Dumaine who will speak about and demonstrate tying flies using Carrie Stevens' vise less in hand method, Bill Pierce, Executive Director of the Rangeley Outdoor Sporting Heritage Museum, who will present the history of fly fishing in the Rangeley region, Kathy Scott who will demonstrate building furled leaders, Larry Grant who will provide a presentation on streamer flies, and Robin Reeve, Managing Partner of Labrador's Three Rivers Lodge, who will talk about fly fishing for Labrador's legendary brook trout.

As always there will be a kids fly tying bench manned by experienced fly tiers throughout the day. Each child who ties a fly will be entered in a raffle to win a fly tying kit. The winner is not required to be present at the drawing to be eligible to win.

This event is the primary fund raiser for the Mollyocket Chapter of TU and provides the means to support conservation projects and fly casting and fly tying lessons to youth groups, schools, veteran's groups, and charitable organizations. This year's featured project is the Gilead Androscoggin River boat launch improvement project which the Mollyockett Chapter of TU is partnering with the Mahoosic Land Trust and the Androscoggin River Watershed Council to complete during the summer of 2017

The Expo is open from 9:00a.m. till 4:00p.m. with a $5.00 entrance fee, ages 15 and younger may enter free.

I will be there.  It is a great time to catch up with friends from that area and spend some money for a good cause.

Looking forward to it.  I will be painting live trying to finish up thisIMG_0650.JPG

Will have decals, coasters, shirts, prints, fly boxes, and originals.  The silent auction will have some great stuff as well all going toward a great cause!

These Yetis will be auctioned off featuring my art work!IMG_0623.JPG

• Like 1

I had a booth but I just going on so I can't make it but I am donating a Echo rod kits with the help of Rajeff Sport and a tying kit for kids

great show, don't miss it

On March 16, 2017 at 7:14 PM, A.L.Poland said:

Looking forward to it.  I will be painting live trying to finish up thisIMG_0650.JPG

Will have decals, coasters, shirts, prints, fly boxes, and originals.  The silent auction will have some great stuff as well all going toward a great cause!

These Yetis will be auctioned off featuring my art work!IMG_0623.JPG

Alex 

The oil painting of the bass featured on your hats is a treasure and is now proudly displayed in my tying room.  It was a pleasure watching you in action painting the last photo on this page.  Tell your wife Gretchen it was nice seeing her again.  The support of our wives is all important and the glue that holds are lives together.  The very best to both of you!

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Alan said:

Alex 

The oil painting of the bass featured on your hats is a treasure and is now proudly displayed in my tying room.  It was a pleasure watching you in action painting the last photo on this page.  Tell your wife Gretchen it was nice seeing her again.  The support of our wives is all important and the glue that holds are lives together.  The very best to both of you!

I am so glad you got that painting Alan....one of my favorites to paint!  And yes.....I am very lucky to have the love and support of Gretchen...her support goes way beyond Fly Fishing and my art!  She's great.  She was quite taken by you too!!!! Better not steal her!  Hahaha

Alex

I can't wipe the grin off my face as I look up and see that painting. Sometimes I make a special trip in here just to be sure it is still hanging on the wall.  Great job my man! :D

I don't believe you have a thing to worry about this old man lol. I have a keeper too.

On ‎3‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 6:37 AM, Kevin McKay said:

I had a booth but I just going on so I can't make it but I am donating a Echo rod kits with the help of Rajeff Sport and a tying kit for kids

great show, don't miss it

Kevin:

How did you deliver the rod and tying kits to the expo?

Mac