Maine Fly Fish
jimbob

New fly rod

I am in the market for a new fly rod.  Here's my dilemma. For the last 15 or 20 years I have been charmed by a St. Croix Legend 9 ft. 3/4  weight 2 piece fly rod that had been my "Go to" on the ponds in Maine...Its medium soft action, light feel, and genuine fishability lend itself to feeling like it was an extension of my arm...Since I broke it at the butt (on a Harrington Lake Salmon)  I have been a bit lost.  I have used many other rods looking for the "Twin" of the Legend. I still have not found it.   In St Croix's infinite wisdom they discontinued the rod and all parts associated with stringing up another on.  I have tried other St Croix blanks including the Bank Robber , Imperial, Ultra Elite etc, to no avail.  Can anyone give me a direction to take??  Medium action, 9 ft, 2 piece, 3/4 weight  light feel,  very soft tip for subtle takes, Can I find a 9 ft three weight glass rod? does anyone have a link?  I have used Sage products with no luck -Yet- in that direction.  The rod I'm using now is just not cutting the mustard from a FEEL perspective. I know the rods out there..I'm not worldly enough to find it.. Thanks in advance.

When you have a rod that's your go to, Nothing will match it. They might be close, but a soft feel is a personal.  Post a pic of where your rod is broken,, a rod builder/restorer can 90% of the time make a repair as this does not really change action,. Post a pic with good close ups. and measurements from handle or butt. I personally do not change rods to just have new tech. 

Jim Bob, my experience with a 3/4 rod is very limited.  About the only advice I can give is to wait for EBFS and Bean have their spring  expos.  Not sure if Cabelas has one.  Give all their rods a try.  

Raw,

I'm a rod builder having made a hundred myself, taught by Galen Hachey. I need a new rod. The rod is toast.  Thanks Russ for the direction.  Who makes Beans rods?  Is it Orvis? 

jimbob

RODS WITH THE BEAN LOGO/NAME AFFIXED I BELEIVE ARE IMPORTED.    

LOOKING FOR A TWO PIECE FLY ROD NOW DAYS MAY BE LIMITING YOUR CHOICES.

Mark Steffen makes an 8 1/2, the 4wt 2pc. has some pretty hot views. If you can not take the wait list, give me a call. I will check my closet. 479 5851.

ebud,

I agree with the fact that my choices maybe limited...Thanks for the LL Bean heads up..PF Flyer I'm gonna call Mark because I am curious. I have used 8 and a half foot rods before..  If it has the feel I want I would certainly use it..Thanks

Jimbob,  You might consider getting in touch with Brad Hardy (Swamptrout) on this site. I purchased an 8' 4 wt. from him that sounds like the one you broke. GOOD LUCK

Ron

• Like 1

I know you said you looked at Sage already.  I have researched every blank maker in glass and your desired length to weight I have not been able to find.  I did find a 10'0" for a 3 weight in glass in an off shore made blank.  I also searched for a complete rod in glass at 9 feet for 3 and 4 weights and came up empty.  I have built a number of Sage rods including the pictured MOD.  Have you considered the slower action CIRCA?

The CIRCA blank is still available at 8'9" for a 4 weight and I can offer the complete build with tube and sock for $625.00.  Also the Sage MOD comes in 9'0" in 2-6 weights that I can supply for $650.00.  Just a thought.  I can also supply Thomas & Thomas AEROS for similar cost.

14463062_1790135131239642_3558212518991748675_n.jpg

• Like 1

St. Croix Rio Santo....cheap money and nice rod for the feel aspect...quite a bit slower rod 120ish dollars I believe...I had a 2 piece 6wt with a full sink that I enjoyed

• Like 1

Sorry to hear JB,

Yep...their SC IV strain...y/n?  Their plain old Ultra has/HAD a nice feel....the only reason I've stayed with my 8'#5 Ultra.  Such a horrible length for presentation for me but casts and sets a hook so nicely.  Having known a few people in the company, I got to use a proto "X", or something....for Sage last year, for a while...one of the company's "efforts on trial"...maybe for chucking worms for "extroadinary distances":D.  Unfortunately they wanted it back...have NO idea of what the finished "X" feels like..

Have no idea why St.Croix changed and dropped the plain "Ultra" model.  When companies change model names they most always do something "new" to it...ie screw up what worked.  Guess certain materials wound in certain ways and thicknesses can only do so much to help the consumers with resources...

• Like 1

your ****ed, brah........I have been looking for 25-30 years for rods that had the magic and broke....it takes time until you find another....I've only a few that fit this...sorry for your loss and deepest condolences...what really sucks is when you find the replacement and then you break/lose that one a few years after..course I suppose I'm preaching to the choir....

On the lower end of the rod scale is the Redington CT.

I have a 9' 4 wt. in that model. It has a very nice soft feel. It sounds similar to what you describe.

Lots of options for long light line glass, listed from cheapest to most expensive:

Anglers Roost glass series, lots of options, very affordable.  The longer light line spey blanks make great one single handed rods.  Blanks and complete rods are offered

http://theanglersroost.com/products/fiberglass-blanks/

Echo series "Big Water Glass"  They have a 8'6" 4wt in glass thats pretty sweet, I had the chance to cast it at the Eldredge show last year, only  $219.00!!

http://echoflyfishing.com/project/echoglass/

James Green, USA small time maker.  Give him a call, he can make you anything you want in any configuration.  150- 175 dollars for a blank

http://www.jamesgreenflyrods.com

Steffen Brothers, USA made.  Less options then Mr Green but stellar rods non the less.  His 8' 3/4 is considered the bench mark in that configuration in glass. 150-200 per blank depending on number of pieces but long lead times.

http://steffenbrothersflyrods.com

Livingston Rod Company, USA made.  This maker specializes in long tapers in glass meant for wester waters, quite expensive but very nice.  No blanks, finished rods only

http://www.livingstonrod.com

CTS Rod makers out of new Zealand.  These guys can also make you anything you want in glass in any imaginable configuration, and any color your heart may desire.  250-300 just for a blank

http://ctsfishing.com

I'm sure there more that I've missed but thats a good start.  Also keep in mind any blank can be extended by 6 inches in the butt section via a stint.

Rods are getting lighter. Shockingly light. This trend is driven in part by performance and in part by the market. Personally, I’m not concerned with what a rod weighs, except to the extent which it serves the action. In many of the new designs, however, weight is a big part of rod action. These hotrod sticks will be an interesting challenge for reel designers in coming years. We are reaching the point where balancing a rod and reel is becoming a challenge.

Another obvious, and welcome, trend is that rod actions are becoming more accessible. The X is a great example. Sage has taken advantage of their new super-fast recovering material to make a rod which bends deeper and loads easier than the One, while having a faster action. This hat trick is also immediately evident in the new G Loomis Asquith, which won my heart with the first cast.

Jimbob, the only rods I know are the newer Sages, although without a doubt most-to-all of the other makers' manuf specs are just as good(my $.01 guess) = the 3 and 4 piece rods are just as good as the 2-pce rods without any deviation in flex(IMHO), so I really don't think you have anything to worry about.

On the fly 207 mentions the Rio Santo...I cast one and it "might have the flex" you want...it is a little chunky in the shoulders but I think you might want to wiggle it since your original was a St Croix......

I have a Bean 3wt Streamlight Ultra and a 3wt Bean Double L.  I think one is a 7' 6". The other is an 8'6".  Since most places I use these rods is on small narrow streams with over hanging trees and brush, I don't need a well casting rod.