Maine Fly Fish
Sign in to follow this  
jimbob

A feeling

I'm tying flies this am and thinking. ..IMHO.. There is no better feeling in fishing (For me) than hiking into a pond (June),  standing on the shoreline at 4:15am (Dead calm water some fish showing), slipping the boat into the water, rowing around finding fish on the finder.  Anchoring over Brookies with a sinking fly line and in time there's a heavy bend in the rod, the base of the rod is pulled  into the water upon hook set..  That deep pulsing head shake from below the boat is what I really would like to have right now...With 8 more weeks before ponds ice out here...I think I'm in trouble...

Bub,

Retiring in my backyard in the snow solarium, with 46 degrees and 100% sunshine.......Go ultra-ultralight pan fishing through the ice...it's the ****....

Am hoping to find some nice water temps/levels this spring....OTW for that special feeling...got myself a bottle of Old Grandad...;-)

Can't wait for ice-out to get my canoe back in the water.  Getting my rod rebuilt this week and plotting out new areas to fish.  New friends to fish with.

• Like 1

I think I may try out the St. George tomorrow.   Got to try out my newly rebuilt rod.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Russ said:

I think I may try out the St. George tomorrow.   Got to try out my newly rebuilt rod.

Seems like a yellow egg pattern is what I always (and others) have luck with good luck!

A calm lake with trout rising is heaven on earth.  When you paddle once and glide 20 feet into casting range of a couple of cruisers , lead them just right and  wait for the slurp! Can't wait for spring

On 2/20/2017 at 7:33 AM, Kevin McKay said:

I love pond fishing when is dead flat

and cloudy......  and just as the sun gets off the water.....the larger trout, in the springholes, come up, out of the weeds to grab as much as they can...

Favorite couple of ponds/bogs/streams that get the Hex....June, July and August(hoppers)....so nice.

• Like 1

Big Spencer,

How about the cloudy dead calm mornings with fog over the water? A person can hear the fish rising, however can't see them.  Fog and fishing are soul mates.

• Like 2

On 3/9/2017 at 5:40 AM, jimbob said:

Big Spencer,

How about the cloudy dead calm mornings with fog over the water? A person can hear the fish rising, however can't see them.  Fog and fishing are soul mates.

jimbob,

The most promising sound I've ever heard, in the early mornings, .....when hiking into a little bog at the base of a mountain..with tandem canoe, east of Moosehead...back when the only people who had known of it were a few cutting crews in 68'.....were the loons calling out around 4:30am.  Told us there were enough small trout for them to feast on....and told us that there were enough larger trout to find.  How's the flyrod hunt going?  I've found a 9footer.....makes life a lot easier when mending over multiple seams:wacko: