Maine Fly Fish
RAW

Cabela's change / Bass Pro

Will anyone miss the fishing dept. at Cabela's ? With Bass Pro about to own them, the changes might be less fishing in stores,. The proposed new model might be keeping some stores more in guns and camping, And adding new Bass Pro's in high profile areas. The local store is not one. They still will do online, but everyone does.(1st thing all stores tell you now ". Right now Dick's has better terminal tackle choices, leader, tippett for the local fishery. My specialty items are still bought threw fly shops as there is no substitute for product knowledge or quality.

Since Oct. when buying camping, certain clothing I cannot find even basic fishing products, " I will not miss the fishing dept.". we will have see if the store stays

Would you miss it?

No problem for me.  I very seldom shop there anyway.  Although I got a BassPro gift card for Xmas I would like to use.

I received a $25 Bass Pro gift card recently.

Closest store is about 40 miles away in NH and it's a travel route I seldom use. So incentive to drive there is small.

If I order leaders or tippets on line from Bass Pro there is a shipping fee of about $6.00, so that waters down the value of the gift card.

Hopefully, when I often head up Rt. 95 on my way to my fishing haunts the Maine Cabela's store will be converted to Bass Pro and I can use it there.

I usually wait till something goes on sale and use the discounts to order online and have it delivered to pickup at the store to save shipping. That works.

Cabelas doesn't have much of a fly shop anyway.

On 4/2/2017 at 5:53 PM, Russ said:

Cabelas doesn't have much of a fly shop anyway.

Sad to say, its better than LLB by a country mile! 

For tying materials yes for flies no. If you are buying tied flies beans is better then cabelas and Eldridge is my favorite for both tying material and flies

When you live 15 minutes from EBFS, everything else is a non issue.  Yeah - it's good to live down this way sometimes.  Can't remember last time I walked into Cabelas.

I agree, if I was closer to EBFS I would spend all my time and money there.  You can't beat the personalized service.  Top shelf in all aspects.  However it's two hours away.

Most of you know why I shop at Beans.  I don't go there for the service.

EBFS is definitely my favorite for anything fly fishing related real good selection of materials and flies

On 2/23/2017 at 5:43 AM, Kevin McKay said:

Any bass pro I've been,has had a way better fishing dept, maybe it will be better

Kevin - wholeheartedly agree.   Will be very curious to see what is coming down the pipeline.