Maine Fly Fish
Sign in to follow this  
cdc

Radisson 12ft canoe

Anyone have an opinion ..good ,bad ..or indifferent on a 12 ft Radisson pointer canoe seats 2, 38 " wide and 36 lbs  ,I may have a chance at one soon

CHECK OUT ON LINE ----PADDLING.COM

THERE ARE SOME REVIEWS FOR THE RADISSON

RAY

I restored a Radisson canoe for a friend last year. It was a fair project. As they are aluminum the rivets and screws do wear and loosen over time. After the first 'fix' it had to come back because more leaks showed up.  Dry as a bone now. This canoe was far from new and had seen a lot of use. Leaks fixed and a new coat of paint - she looks pretty good. One thing you can not beat is the light weight.     So , if the price is right and not many if any leaks  go for it.

I agree, if the price is right buy it.  Nice canoe for hiking into ponds.  Not the most comfortable, but not bad.  I'd rather be in an Old Town with traditional seats, but I'd rather carry the Radission if it's more than a 1/4 mile hike.  Nice stable boat too.   Bit short for two guys casting, but it is manageable, just a bit crowded.

thanks guys ..going to look at it tomorrow night based on the pics ,and discussion I had its in really good condition ,and priced right ..even though its 2 seat its really only going to be me in it 95% of the time ..I had been looking for a Pack , with no luck ..then "settled" on a old town 119 solo for 700 bucks ,but then stumbled onto this Radisson and if the condition is right then the price is good , being just under the cost of the old town.. and the research I have done is the Rad shoes it is pushing $1,100+ brand new ..and this one looks brand new so ... we'll see

Two people in a 12 footer might be a little tight.  I have a 12 foot Old Town Pack. I love it.

I have one from the 70's and its held up well. Very stable, but as Dave said pretty uncomfortable to sit in. The seats are so low you have to put your legs straight out. Not an older persons canoe comfort wise.

my .02

well it was better than I thought ..turns out is basically part a estate sale ,and turns out according to the son his father had an inkling one day 5 years ago that he needed a canoe so he bought this one at the time it was 2 years old will little to no  use  ,and its been hanging hoisted to the ceiling in the back shed ever since, basically brand new ! ..wicker seats ,anchor rope and mount ,2 paddles with oar locks

pick it up on sat !

Sounds good cdc! ...I had a 12' fiberglass in the 70s....that length/weight is so nice to carry into ponds/bogs....etc.  Was a little tippy but not a constant worry....

I've had 2 of these, the first was an olive green 12 footer under their original name Sports Pal back in the 70's.  Wasn't much of a fan of the foam seats that came with it.  Second was a 12 foot square tail Radisson with camo finish.  Used a small electric motor on it.  Had good luck with both as far as leaks go.  I agree with the weight thing.  You can carry those boats anywhere.  

HW