Maine Fly Fish
Sign in to follow this  
Mainiac

Political correctness.

I'm an a**hole and proud of it. I hate being "politically correct". In my eyes that's just an excuse for not telling the truth. Long ago I learned to walk tall and speak the truth. If somebody is being a dink, tell them to smarten the **** up. Don't let them hide behind false emotional barriers errected by societies milk toasts to keep everyones feelings from being hurt. **** 'em. Tell them the truth." hey buddy you're being an a**hole !" . Keeps everybody on an even keel.

This society has become so afraid of offending one another. Tell the truth. Be a lot less ambiguity and fear amongst the people, like it used to be. Grow a pair and speak the truth.

• Like 2

I generally find that a reasonably civil word is more effective at engaging productively with people than telling them to smarten the f up or that they're an a-hole. The latter usually causes folks to either double down and shoot back or walk away muttering unflattering things about you and your mother under their breath.  There can and should be a line between just plain (c)rude and honest that has nothing to do with PC or not PC.  It's actually very possible to be polite (or at least civil) and extremely honest at the same time.  Respecting that line sometimes even earns a person some respect in return.  I can't honestly say that I've ever been more willing to side with someone after they've called me an a-hole.  I do hold any number of people who have corrected and guided me - sometimes forcefully - in high regard, though.

I guess it's just further evidence that I have become an old fart and now maintain hopelessly out of date views on such things. Think of me as Mr. Milque Toast if you like, but if you do feel the need to call me out, please spare me the f-bombs and anatomy based insults.  I can get my fill of those at the back of the junior high school bus, and I give those kinds of comments about as much credence as anything else I might hear there.

I agree with civility, respect and also telling someone they are out of line. However stooping to their level of calling names or acting in a similar manner  is placing oneself as one of the people you are most upset with.  My sainted father in law always said that one who stoops to the level of vulgarity simply proves you either lack the vocabulary to express oneself or the intelligence to use it.  And if people are really ignorant then anything you say will fall on deaf ears or will escalate any situation but if they do have some sense of decency and respectability then a more well place reply may bring a more desirable result. Just one mans opinion mind you.

Arguing with a fool only proves that their are two.

Who said anything about arguing. I'm saying if a person is being a dickhead and offending you or those around you, you should point it out to said person and do so in a way in which there is no mistake. Don't need to swear or name call but use the truth.

I am a product of the sixties/seventies. A turbulent time where we learned to speak our minds and take **** from no one. Of course arguments arose but were usually settled quickly and permanently, either by agreement to disagree or by physical means. By that I mean the beligerants would meet at an appointed time and place and settle the argument via their fists.This would occur in a ring of friends that would stop the contest once blood was drawn or someone hit the ground. Argument settled. Sounds vulgar to the panty waiste people today which is why there is so much pent up anxiety and hatered in our society. "Ya got a problem with me then lets settle it." is how it went. Once settled the argument is then forgotten and all move on.

Nowadays there is too much compromise, fear and lack of respect of the individual due to societies hard bend to the left. Too many people are afraid to stand up to those who abuse us for fear of being ridiculed or shunned by the main stream social parameters set by gutless ,spineless people who never fought for anything in their lives. Not realists who like us, live our lives in the daily struggle of survival. They forgot what is right and what is wrong.

Treat people as you wish to be treated. Give of yourself to better the people around you. Stand up for your beliefs and don't be afraid to disagree with the public opinion. This is how I choose to live and if you don't like it, we can always meet somewhere at some appointed time.:D

I hate to break it to you but this is not the sixty or seventies and unfortunately we have progressed from swing fist to people pulling out guns and shooting people.  In the sixties and seventies we didn't have road rage where guns settled the score.  In the good old days people did have respect for each other and a battle between two guys often ended in those same guys becoming friends.  In todays world many people don't care what you think and want there way.  People threaten to damage vehicles if they don't want you fishing somewhere.  Some people pull guns and threaten people everyday and to opt for a confrontation with someone you do not know does not strike me as an intelligent stance.  One of my friends was on a walk in FFO pond and pointed out to a couple of guys that were using spin rods and words that fact and they threatened to destroy his vehicle.

Thats why I own a 1911 in .45 auto.

Senior citizens=old people enhanced interrogation=torture ptsd=shell shock handicapped=defective bathroom tissue=toilet paper George Carlin said it best! I don't think it has anything to do with being angry or being an a**hole unless you are in fact an a**hole? It all depends on who is saying it. One could argue using racial expletives is "not being PC" like calling someone retarded. Would I call a person that? No. I would call an engine that tho. As with everything there is a time and place for words. And yes people are too sensitive about words and that's why I like to use swear words they are fun and it loosens that stick out of some people's asses when your getting your point across!

On 4/2/2017 at 2:38 PM, Aldo said:

I generally find that a reasonably civil word is more effective at engaging productively with people than telling them to smarten the f up or that they're an a-hole. The latter usually causes folks to either double down and shoot back or walk away muttering unflattering things about you and your mother under their breath.  There can and should be a line between just plain (c)rude and honest that has nothing to do with PC or not PC.  It's actually very possible to be polite (or at least civil) and extremely honest at the same time.  Respecting that line sometimes even earns a person some respect in return.  I can't honestly say that I've ever been more willing to side with someone after they've called me an a-hole.  I do hold any number of people who have corrected and guided me - sometimes forcefully - in high regard, though.

I guess it's just further evidence that I have become an old fart and now maintain hopelessly out of date views on such things. Think of me as Mr. Milque Toast if you like, but if you do feel the need to call me out, please spare me the f-bombs and anatomy based insults.  I can get my fill of those at the back of the junior high school bus, and I give those kinds of comments about as much credence as anything else I might hear there.

"the dude abides" - like that profile image

I tend to agree with you Aldo though I hear what Mainiac is saying.  As with anything of skill, some are better able to communicate in a diplomatic yet direct manner than others.  Those who dance around matters can frustrate others, including themselves when the intended message is not adequately presented.