Maine Fly Fish
Sign in to follow this  
theflyguy

Two hand striper rod

On May 1, 2017 at 8:34 PM, Alan said:

I could do that but was wondering how many others would be interested in something like this.

If so William Ciaurro would be willing to make a trip up here at no cost to show everyone what is possible fishing these rods in the salt.  Time and place would be determined by the interest of those reading this post. 

I would certainly be interested 

Alan and William,

Thank you so much for organizing this event.  It's going to be great.  Unfortunately, I will be out of town that weekend.  Alan, I hope to catch up with you later in the season.

Be well,

Erik

Yeah thanks Alan and William it's very kind of you guys to do this

In the calendar, really excited thank you for this opportunity!

Count me in Alan ! Just let me know the when and where ! My foot is getting better, hope to do a little scouting and casting this weekend. 

For anyone who will attend our get together on June 4, I want to give you a heads up on what to expect and what to bring.  

For this free clinic, Alan and I will be explaining and demonstrating the techniques and styles that make up two hand salt water casting.  I expect we will spend 2 to 3 hours learning and casting.  We will talk about how a two hand rod functions and why.  How to create power and transfer to energy.  We will also be explaining the various types of lines that work in the salt.  I really do appreciate this opportunity in response to knowing Alan for the last number of years.  Alan was a caster in the first two hand class I gave 7 years ago.

photo3.jpg

Please bring with you all that you would expect to need to fish the out going tide.  The clinic is timed so we will have the last 3 to 3 1/2 hours of that tide to fish.  Please make sure you leave all flies off your rod until the clinic is over.  Bring waders, eye protection, sun block, striping basket, two hand rod if you have one, water, phone fully charged and food for yourself if you want.  I will have tippet, line cleaner and yarn fly material.

Going to be fun and I look forward to the day.  Feel free to give me a call if you need any further info.

William

603-501-9511 

William,   Interesting photo. Could you tell us what it is?

Ron

Yes Ron, it appeared on the beach during low tide at Place Cove in New Hampshire.  Someone worked very hard to build these Cairns.  They must have graduated from sand castles.  Here are a few in Scotland.70-IMG_0180.JPG

• Like 1

The sun was shinning, fish were busting close to the curl and a bunch of guys with two hand rods showed up for the clinic.  I want to say thanks to all who attended and especially to Alan for the inspiration to put this together.  I hope you picked up a few ways to cast and fish that will increase the range of your ability and angling success.  

In Search Of The Perfect Cast

WilliamP6040016.JPGP6040017.JPGP6040018.JPG

William thanks again! Learned alot, very informative and I really love the analogies you use to teach your techniques! Great stuff! And thanks to Alan as well! Next time we'll bring you a megaphone! 

Ben

• Like 1

Yeah I had fun the wind wasn't helping when Alan was trying to talk. Nice meeting everyone I haven't met yet thanks Alan and William 

• Like 1

Thank you William for breaking down the technical into something everyone could understand. Thanks to each and every one of you who attended.

It is a good thing no one had hooks on when those fish started breaking just off the beach.  William may have found himself in the middle of a full on blitz of his own. 

On a serious note:

I hope everyone took away something with the introduction to the two handed rod and can see the possibilities these rods offer when fishing the salt. Time was at a premium and wish I could have spent more time on an individual basis with each and every one of you. If in the future you see me on the beach and have questions please stop and ask. 

As we age anything that makes fishing a flyrod easier is wonderful!  They are a joy to cast and hope events like these ignites the passion we have for this style of casting.  

Time will tell. 

Thanks again to Alan & William, great job! Just maybe you might see me with a two hander. Have to try and master the one hander first.

Alan,

I've made the move to a Sage 13' seven weight and am determined to learn the art of this two handed casting process.  You say that you are fishing with T17 attached to the running line bottom fishing crabs and closers.  What I need to know is what should I be using to learn to cast with.  I ordered a Rio 500 gr. Skagit shooting head.  Should I be trying to learn with that instead of the T17 head?  Should I be putting any further sinking head on the Skagit line? 

If you will be out some day or evening in the next week or so, might I be able to join you to see if I have this new rig set up right and to get a few more pointers?

Thank you very much for being so willing to share the knowledge.

My direct email is tac@gwi.net

Tom