Maine Fly Fish
Sign in to follow this  
RRobert

Question

Would it make sense to have a new rod re-wrapped?  Here's the back story.  Over the winter I bought a rod from JP Ross.  When it arrived I immediately noticed that the guide wrapping left a bit to be desired.  On the strip guide there is maybe an 1/8 inch tag that was folded over the wrapping thread and epoxied down...on some of the other guides also have tags and there are small gaps in the wrap and they are uneven.  I sent JP an email and got the response, " That's just the way I do it."  I don't believe that, but not much else I can do.

I love the way the rod casts and otherwise have no complaints....BUT it has lessened my enthusiasm for the rod...That's probably petty, but hey 3 hundos is 3 hundos...The first two guys I showed the rod to noticed the mistakes in under 10 seconds...One asked if it was a kit that I did myself....bummer.

So...is re-wrapping a possibility or should I just suck it up and get over it and chalk it up to lessons learned?

I suggest that you re-wrap it. You shouldn't have to accept sloppy workmanship. Guides and wrappings can be removed if you are careful. Good luck. Maybe you can custom it up a bit when the wrappings are redone. 

Ron

Thanks Ron.  I guess I should take a class. My biggest fear is that I try to fix it and end up ruining the rod.

sorry you did not get what you wanted, tape off above and below all threads, damn good razor, really need a good holder, carefully peal top coat of epoxy, hopes are it does not penetrate too much, peal thread, carefully razor edge, light very fine file edge of epoxy, light paper, a rod turner would be nice, like a mini lathe. see if you can get swamptrouts attention for couple ideas.

• Like 1

Not worth it to strip it down and do a redo in my opinion, an heirloom blank…yes….a production rod…no.   After carefully razor blading off every wrap you then would be hoping and praying the finish doesn't flake off after as well.   It would take you longer to prep the blank for re-wrapping then the actual act of wrapping itself.  

If its purely just a cosmetic thing but you still really like it then I'd just fish it to death or sell it, cut your losses and move on.  

What would I do personally?  Well I'd tell you life is too short to fish with ugly rods.

• Like 1

Thanks for the input Brad.  Yeah...I think I'll just suck it up.  I really do like the rod and like you said its purely a cosmetic thing, so it will get a lot of use but I probably won't be very careful with it.  And I suppose if I want to show off I can always break out The Gunslinger. :)

And... if you get the itch to build something... I'm in the market for an 8ft 5wt.

My suggestion is to use it the way it is.  Taking the chance, especially if you are not a builder, to nick or scratch the blank is not worth it.  If, in the future, the wraps start to be a problem then fix them.  Get in touch with JP Ross now and have them tell you the thread used so you have it to match exactly if needed. 

• Like 1

Have you contacted JP Ross and let them know?

Sometime somethings get past the QC inspector.

I'd say reputable companies wouldn't want something like that out there.

I bet they will make good for you.

Have to be careful buying a rod that's sold as a closeout. Many manufacturers discount them so deeply there's little room for returns, IF it was sold as a drop.  Fish it, So your new came with character(might be lucky) B)