Maine Fly Fish
Sign in to follow this  
alas

LL Bean Streamlight 13' 8\9WT

Anyone has this rod? If you do, what grain you use on it? I'd primarily use this thing for crabbing on the flats :). I was thinking 450-525 grain line or 10WT. It would be nice if LL Bean listed useful specs on their site. 

Thanks for any input!

alas

Dejan,

I'm certain that Mike is gonna fill you in on this... if he doesn't text or PM him... I have the 12'6 7/8 and I would recommend that for you too. I have fought everything from a 12 inch striper to a 40 inch striper and it has been great. Ive got 3 other Streamlight rods and all cast great. The reason I recommend it over the 8/9 is that for the small fish, this rod feels awful long as it is. Hate to see you go too big! The 7/8 throws a 425 grain outbound short and 70-90 feet of running line wih ease... this is considered a 10 wt line. You're welcome to try mine before you buy...I just bought a 13 foot 7/8 Pro4X mostly for steelhead but I'll have it out on he flats soon enough! For now my 9 wt Sage Motive is doing the trick for me :)

Hope to see you out there soon man.

Gary

Hey Gary ;)! 

I was gonna msg you personally because I knew you had a version of streamlight two-hand but I figured casting a net out here would result in more info. Well anyways, I ordered it already online because they're having a sale and 12.5' version was unavailable/back ordered. Now I'm thinking an exchange will be in order :).

Currently I'm using Cabelas LSI 7WT with a 425 Rio Outbound Short and shoot all of the line out so I figured with a longer rod it might be possible to go longer. Didn't they have 120' lines at some point in time...

Well anyways, thanks for the response and I hope you and you family are doing well. I'll see you soon out there :)!

Dejan

Dejan

I agree with Gary.  A seven/eight weight rod is more than you probably need.  Even though I am a fan of the longer Spey rod for a safety factor of keeping the missile away from me the most important thing for you to consider is to fish slower.  

I have been watching folks new to the longer rod and have observed this hell bent race to get the fly back in quickly for another cast.  Try the much slower approach of strip, strip, long pause. You can mix up the quickness of the strips by making some very short or longer but in the end slow everything down with those longer pauses.  If you feel the regularity or rhythm of the retrieve change suddenly.....stop pause then anticipate that there is a fish who has taken your offering and strike.  You maybe pleasantly surprised.

One other tidbit of advice that is in my post of "Unfamiliar Places and How to Fish Them" that I see being overlooked regularly by everyone whether single or two handed fishing is wading to deeply.  The twenty feet you wade deeper from shore fits right into the old saying "the deeper you wade the shorter the rod".  In other words your distance doesn't really improve that much and you are probably spooking a lot of fish.

In the end just slow it down a bit and enjoy being out there.  Who knows...you may even improve your catch rate.

• Like 1

Hi Alan, 

I always welcome your wisdom and quite often refer to "Unfamiliar Places and How to Fish Them" since it is such a useful reference. I'm pretty happy with my catch rate and casting (in)ability ;) since I can get the full line out fairly easily once I get into it. My interest in an even longer rod is really due to those specific situations during tide changes on the wast flats when fish are about to start approaching or are in the process of leaving. In a nutshell I want to be able to intercept as soon as it is possible and postpone saying goodbye to them as late as possible... Distance plays a role here... 

Anyways, I ordered 13' since that's what was available but might exchange it at the store if they have a 12.5'er... The difference in length is minimal while it will be a significant improvement over 11' switch I'm using now. 

Thanks again :)

I am thinking he meant 8-9wt not 7-8 is a bit heavy as from what I see Alan likes the 7-8 13 ft rod. I have tried Alan's sage vxp which I think was a 7wt and his lsi which might of been a 8 wt both 13 ft and they are cannons. I can't cast for shot yet with one but when I did get it somewhat right it was amazing on the line speed. I have a 11.6 8wt but might also get a 13 ft too

Dejan

I'm sorry if you took the post wrong.  Your casting abilities are absolutely not in question.  Remember I have seen you fish and I wouldn't want to keep pace with your numbers caught.  lol  My mind gets wandering and at times drift off topic instead of starting a new post.  The additional info added to the topic was just that meandering thought process once again.

My only excuse is all the additional posting just takes away from fishing.

A  7 weight rod is a good choice.  Anything larger is pretty much overkill fort the Stripers we encounter here in Maine.

Alan, 

Did not take it wrong at all :)! I'll take your wisdom anytime anywhere! I wished I was able to come to your casting party this morning but with my wife working I was stuck with the little ones.

Anyways, the 13 footer came in the box and once I put it together I just shook my head... way too big and too thick...heavy! It's tarpon worthy or just right for huge wild steelhead and kings... So I ran to LL Bean and had it exchanged for 12.5' 7WT. The 7WT seems just right and as big as I will ever need :)! Can't wait to try it this week!

7 hours ago, alas said:

Alan, 

Did not take it wrong at all :)! I'll take your wisdom anytime anywhere! I wished I was able to come to your casting party this morning but with my wife working I was stuck with the little ones.

Anyways, the 13 footer came in the box and once I put it together I just shook my head... way too big and too thick...heavy! It's tarpon worthy or just right for huge wild steelhead and kings... So I ran to LL Bean and had it exchanged for 12.5' 7WT. The 7WT seems just right and as big as I will ever need :)! Can't wait to try it this week!

I think you made the right choice.  I could meet you some evening after work at one of the beaches close to where you live. We could try several line weights of lines I have prior to you spending anymore money if the lines you have don't feel just right.  Let me know.

Dejan, sorry for the late reply. I would agree that the 12'6" 7 wt Streamlight is more than enough for stripers, so you made the right choice exchanging the rod. I would suggest you get a running line and 30' sink tip of T-17 (510 grain). You may like the feel of the full 30' at 510 grains, but can cut it down to reduce weight by 17 grains for each foot that is cut off. For example; Cut 3 feet off of that head and you will have a 27' head at 459, which actually may be the sweet spot for that rod. Definitely take Alan up on testing the lines. Sometimes it can be very enlightening to try multiple different weight lines. You will know when you find the right weight for your casting style.  See you out there soon buddy!

Hey Mike, 

Thanks for chiming in :)! I was gonna PM you for some opinions but I knew you were gonna eventually stumble upon this post. No point in coming here when fishing is hot, right ;)! So you're thinking 500+ grains... wow that's pushing it :)! I'm using 425 Rio on my LSI and I just got in mail the newest Rio striper line ($50 on sale) with 30' sink tip which is 450 grain. I didn't try it yet but I bet it will be sweet! Also, I love that it's all integrated with loops and all that fancy stuff :)! Now, I have to say I'm intrigued by overloading the whole system with T17. I'll try to play with it when I get a chance. You have any issues with integrating running line to T17? It will have to be seamless or I'll cut the whole thing up ;)! 

Thanks again and see you out there soon!

That Rio Striper line is an excellent line and the 450 will probably cast very well on that rod. Gary uses the Outbound Short at 425 and likes it, so I am sure 450 will work. It is always nice to have an a single piece/ integrated line because you do not feel the loop-to-loop connection, but in most cases two-handed fisherman will have a running line on a spool and then loop on different heads depending on the fishing situation. The running line has a loop on the end so it is very easy to connect different heads. You can have a skagit, skandi, or different heads for overhead casting on the beach. Basically one spool can do it all. You could even have floating, intermediate and sinking heads for the beach. 30' of T-17 would take the place of your head. So you would have a running line connected directly to the 30' of T-17. You can then cut it down to casting preference. The more weight in your head, the slower the action of your rod, because it will load deeper into the blank. Depending on the rod quality, a deeper load can unleash a lot of power from the lower sections of the rod. 

So was thinking of getting the 7 wt 12.6 did you find a line you like for it? Just curious because it will give me a good starting point 

Yes! Rio Striper In-Touch 450 grain... Let's just say It's a deadly combo. I should not be allowed near water ;)!