Maine Fly Fish
Sign in to follow this  
jeepfisher

Nesowadnehunk (sourdnahunk) lake campsites?

I have probably 200+ fishing/ camping days under my belt in the allagash/chesunkcook/west branch area, having camped on and fished more lakes and ponds in this area than I can count. But one lake that I haven't touched is nesowadnehunk. I'm curious what the camping situation is there if anyone has experience on that pond. I'm looking for information like where and what kind of campsites are there, and if you pay and sign in at the telos Checkpoint or is that katahdin woods or Baxter etc. a good example is how Harrington lake is maintained by Baxter (or maybe katahdin forest or whatever they call it) even tho it's outside of Baxter and is 200 ft from the telos road. Anyways any info would be great. my Delorme tells me there's 1 campsite right next to the boat launch. But Id rather hear from experience. thank you 

Maybe everyone is still out fishing.   There are a lot of guys here that could give you some info when they check in.  I have never fished it myself.  I'm familiar with the WB area.

I know there is a campground at the South end of the lake.  There is one at the North end but I don't know how its\'s run.  It may be seasonal campers only.  I don't know if there is a Northwoods campsite there or not.  Dry Fly, Cap or Jeff Reardon would know.    

I've heard there is a campground with cabins and boat rentals and some electricity and propane refrigerators. I've also heard abol bridge has changed a lot and more of a hangout for the rafting crowd.

A small company in Millinocket(link below)  does manage both Nesourdnahunk campsites...you stop in Millinocket to fill out info..at least you're able to call them to reserve. It's like $7/night so no great damage.

http://www.katahdinforestcabins.com/campsiterates.html

I think the sites Bigspencer is talking about are on the West Branch near Sourdhahunk Deadwater.  There are some cabin rentals in that area, too.

Sourdnahunk Lake is a long way from there.  The closest PUBLIC campsites to the lake where I know where you can make a reservation would be in Baxter State Park.  Nesowadnehunk Field Campground would be closest--maybe 10 miles from the carry-in access on the park side of the lake.  South Branch Pond would be a little farther, but is a lovely campsite that almost always has sites available.

Off the Telos Road, I used to stay in the sites near Harrington Lake when they were first come first served while fishing the West Branch.  Nice enough sites, but a pretty busy spot, and it looks like things may be a little more formal there than back in the day.

I don't know of any remote campsites, either drive-in or boat access, on Sourdnahunk Lake itself, but that doesn't mean there aren't some.  There is a commercial campground on the southern end, accessible off a side road from the Telos Road, and I think I recall a sign for it last time I was by.  It's something like "Nesowadhehunk Wilderness Campground", and is right at the dam at the outlet.  It has cabin rentals, a bunch of trailer and tent sites, and always seems to be pretty busy.

There is also what we used to call "the retiree camp", which back in the day was mostly populated by Great Northern retirees who would park trailers there. I never knew if it was actually reserved for them, or just a local tradition. Millinocket area folks would know.

Based on boat traffic I've seen out on the lake, there are still folks camping somewhere up at the north end of the lake on a regular basis.

There are also plenty of remote sites at various locations off the Telos Road, many of them marked on the Delorme. I have some favorites, but I don't talk about them in public.

Hi Jeff,

I originally knew of access due to my assisting my granddad, scaler for the Northern....back in the mid-60s.  Hadn't followed the access up until now.

Katahdin Forest Mgmnt lists the two Sourdnahunk campsites.  Maybe the website info is dated, as much info changes year by year, as ownership often changes....but their website denotes the two campgrounds on the DeLorme map.

*What I don't understand are the existing bag limits on many ponds and brooks/streams...and not 100% C&R, with a daily limit on # of fish one can catch.....as 100% survival of trout hooked/played is something close to a dream.  (Guess I'm drifting into another whole topic in itself...:lol:).

Maybe one regulation IF&W could take under consideration in the near future.

Spencer--

I checked the KFM site--looks to me like the two sites they list are near what we used to call "the retiree campground".  I haven't been in that way by either boat or vehicle in 15 years. May have to go take a tour.  That end of the lake used to be wicked busy, but if the crowd at the retiree sites is now down to two campsites, it might be a lot quieter up there than down by the Baxter access, the campground, and Camp Phoenix (which is now private camps, but still sees a lot of use).

I was up that way over memorial weekend.  We stayed at the Nesowadhehunk Wilderness Campground.  Its a pretty big lake, I would recommend renting a boat(60$ a day) The retiree campground is still alive and kicking, plenty of folks still using it.  

In one of the northern coves there is a trail that leads large moss covered clearing big enough to pitch a couple tents.  Everyone uses that spot to drain the lizard though, might be a bit rank.