Maine Fly Fish
Alan

Two handed overhead Cast

Ahh you must have been one of the duo that was there I was there also I was in the grey gmc. Alan thanks it's a good video for people like me new to two handers

3 hours ago, theflyguy said:

Ahh you must have been one of the duo that was there I was there also I was in the grey gmc. Alan thanks it's a good video for people like me new to two handers

yeh that was us in the ford,... im heading back down in the morning i think.

5 hours ago, Jack McDonald said:

I liked the video so much I am having my G Loomis GLX 10 ft 10 wt modified by adding a 6 inch handle to use as a 2 handed rod  I love the rod but at 10 ft it provide a lot of torque on the wrist and elbow as a single handed rod.  It's always great to try something new.  Lift & load!

I used to cast a ten wt single handed rod and can feel your pain.  That is one of the reasons I went to the two handed rod was to save the arms and shoulders.  Consider sometime in the near future one of the new beach two hand rods in the twelve foot  7/8 wt range which will put you in the same grain window as your ten weight single hand rod that you are using now.  They are cannons! 

My Sage  9ft XI2 10wt  is now retired and sits in the rod rack behind me as I am writing this.  It is a reminder of why I love two hand casting so much.  You will too.

Glad you enjoyed Andrew's video.

10 hours ago, Jack McDonald said:

Yes, Andrew knows what he is doing for sure.  It looks pretty straightforward.  I'm also thinking of getting an 11 ft 8wt as well.  I cast for 4 days in a row before Christmas and had been wondering why my elbow was bothering me.  Starting to feel better now.  Casting 8 wt through 10 wt rods when you double haul and have 50 feet of line behind you and you're hauling to shoot on your forward cast puts a lot of pressure on the elbow.  Everyone talks about rod weight but it's the weight of those heavier lines that create the torque on the wrists and elbows.  

I just happened to see your post and said that's what I need to be doing.  I like learning new things and this is my next new thing in fly fishing.  So I thank you for putting that out there.  Are many people showing an interest in the 2 hand rods?

You are correct about the line and the torque it generates on the wrists and arms.  The rod is the vehicle to carry that energy and because of its additional heft in my thinking it still is part of the problem.  Maybe that butt extension is the solution.  I don't know since I haven't tried it.  In fact there are still a lot of things I don't know:).  You will have to give it a try and let me know the results.     

If the bulk of your fishing is from a boat then the shorter single hand rod is the way to go I guess.  The down side of course is that you are still moving a lot of mass with that shorter rod and the resulting physical problems .

I'm  wondering if the butt extension will be a viable solution.  I don't know if there is a  mechanical advantage since you are adding onto a rod that was primarily designed as single hand rod.   Once again, my thinking is that by adding the butt section for your lower line hand this will also move your upper hand further up the stick to an area where there is no cork.  If you maintain the upper hand position and now use the lower hand to do the pulling the question now is are the biomechanics proper to make the rod load properly? Again I don't know.

Cap, Andro  or anyone else.  Are you reading this????  If so give us your take.  Is this something you have done as well and would appreciate your thoughts?  Maybe I'm thinking to deeply about this.

Jack

Your question about the interest in the two hand rods.  Yes it has increased since I am seeing more and more folks fishing them.  Whether this forum has been the defining influence that generates the interest in this form of casting, I doubt it.  There aren't to many fly fishing magazines out there today that don't have articles on the two handed rods.  

just to keep a conversation going......lots of good info...but....with the small angle of the rod to his arm during the forward cast how does his bottom hand come into play. A far batter method IMHO is underhand casting.check out the Mortenson videos which I think is a far superior casting style. Just saying!

25 minutes ago, bobbrown said:

just to keep a conversation going......lots of good info...but....with the small angle of the rod to his arm during the forward cast how does his bottom hand come into play. A far batter method IMHO is underhand casting.check out the Mortenson videos which I think is a far superior casting style. Just saying!

Perhaps I'm reading something wrong.  I was thinking that Jack was going to use the extended Butt section in a two hand cast and maybe that is or isn't his intent.  I don't know until we see his reply.  

Jack, Bob or anyone else.

It is much easier than you may think.  If you have the proper amount of line on the water to begin with and the weight of this line is equal to at least the grain weight of the rod the results on the forward cast are magical.  You will have to experiment with this grain weight to see what works for you as an individual.  It maybe a slightly larger number since the rod has a grain window that is pretty broad. 

3 hours ago, Jack McDonald said:

I had to go to Boston so I picked up an Orvis 11ft 7wt.  Then at Cabela's a Rio Switch Chucker.  I've also although briefly watched the underhand cast using 2 fingers on the lower handle and a ring grip on the top in order to load the rod.  It does look as though Andrew Moi is using the lift to load the rod, where others use the lower handle to load the rod.  They both work so it would be good to know and use both.  I like to cast so all fun.  

Jack

Good luck on finding what line works best for you.  You will figure it out.  The problem is the cost of finding out what works best for you.  My only advice to you is to look at the line charts for your particular rod and start there. Decide on the type of casting that most interests you and try to stay in that area when choosing a line.

The number and types of lines being offered today can get overwhelming to the point of being downright stupid.  My assortment of lines when getting into two handed casting is pretty close to the stupid mark. Some of the future lines changed names and that unto itself muddied the waters.  It was and is a constant deciphering.

The best thing you can do right now is find a good two hand casting instructor and start there.  Lessons will help prevent bad habits.

PM sent 

Two Hand boat rod....

Bob Meiser builds a heavy duty, two-handed rod more specifically for boat fishing.  It is his '909' model.  The rods are 9'9" and some models can handle up to 800 grains.  You get a custom matched line with all his rods (and the 909 is no exception)

I never fish from boats (but occasionally from a raft), and have been considering one of these rods for a few years.

Bob invented the 'switch rod' and his are worth looking into as well.