Maine Fly Fish
Sign in to follow this  
AK Skim

Salmon River Report 2017

SR%209.13.2017.jpg

Salmon River Sports Shop Report  FB 9.12.2017

Hi everyone, Salmon river is running @ 500 cfs.... Even a blind monkey can find a banana once an awhile!! Salmon from the hatchery all the way out to 150 feet on lake Ontario. That is a lot of Salmon!!!! Another good push of small male Coho's!! Pretty steady most days even tho the sun in the mid day is baring down on the river. Questions most asked? Is it worth the trip to come up and fish? Or should I wait for better numbers? If I could only wave my magic wand!! I've seen some real nice fish come out of this drink this season and everyday the river is taking on fresh migration. It's not about how many fish you catch but the river has many Salmon to catch!! Fishermen putting a day in are catching fish and those who know how to fish for Salmon are catching countless numbers. Absolutely!!!! A little rain and here we go again! Many Kings still to come and change will produce all day fishing. Have Salmon been pushing up the river all at once? When the sun is shining seems that fish are pushing up in smaller pods but yet steady for parts of the day. More movement on cloudy days and they'll be jumping on your line. Target change when planning a last minute trip!! If you have reservations later in the season we haven't seen the mother load yet but there's plenty of fish! Limits on the lake, night trips and river!!! What more can you ask for get up here and Fish! srss j button

I believe that last photo was shot from the Clam Shed looking up towards the 81 Hole.

The very first salmon I caught  (landed) I  was standing up and over to the left on the Haldane side.

Even FB isn't immune from the "Clatter"

Thank you to all the "Anglers" fishing the Staircase (below the long bridge) and posting videos ......however......

SR%20Snagging.jpg

Interesting FB post.

If this past weekend is an indication, this fall's salmon run on Lake Ontario's tributaries will surpass last year's run in regard to numbers and size of fish.

In addition, the timing of when steelhead and browns follow the salmon up the tributaries to feed on their eggs appears to be occurring earlier than usual. Overall, the Salmon River at this point still leads the pack as far as the action.

"And we've seen a lot of coho salmon taken, at least half (of what anglers are landing). And they're larger than usual," said Dan Aguilar, a guest services employee at the privately run, Douglaston Salmon Run near the mouth of the Salmon River. He said normally, there are just a few in the mix this time of year.

"We're also seeing brown trout being taken," he added. "And just this morning, we had a report of four steelhead in the upper part of the run. We usually don't see them this early."

Salmon River Sports Shop Report 9.13.2017

Nice push of female Coho's and male Brown's working there way up river threw the lower half public fishing!!!

Best bait Red and Orange from egg sacs to flies!!!!!

Youtube video posted Sept. 8, 2017

Looks like he is just below the Black Hole, public fishing area.

APOLOGIES ARE WARRANTED...  

The thread was moving along getting closer to the first run up there and just ended...

Had many a plan for the up coming salmon season and ....

NOTHING

Till now.

Health issues got in the way. Took a bit to .. get back on my feet.

So I look forward to the up coming 2018 Salmon River season and Report.

As always, 

AK Skim