Maine Fly Fish
Kired

Old Town Stilwater canoe

Picked up an Old Town Stillwater fiberglass canoe (15' 8") the other day in a yard sale.  Never seen one before, haven't had a chance to try it out yet.  Anyone fished out of one before, it looks like it will have less freeboard than the discos wondering if it might be on the tippy side.

I have a 12ft Stillwater and it is a very stable platform that is just awesome. Perfect for 1 person and tight but usable for 2 folks but they have to get along and time their casts. :lol:

Sixguns

Terrible boat, you should just sell it to me...  

Just kidding, it's a pretty awesome boat to fish out of.  Very stable. It is what it's name implies, however, a still water boat.  Not a river runner.  A friend of mine has one, great for ponds.

If you find it tippy, put stabilizers on it.

Haven't had a chance to get it out on the water yet, but I do like how lightweight it is compared to my disco.  Saw it beside the road as I was driving by and almost didn't turn around to look at it because of all the traffic.  It was worth the hassle to go back when I saw his price tag, couldn't resist.

• Like 1

I had a few of these designs years ago. Have owned hundreds of different canoes of various designs and purposes. The Flat bottom has static stability but no Dynamic Stability,  that combined with it being really short at only 14 ft to 16 ft long makes it real unstable ( Very Tippy, once you pass the angle point of no return.) and does not track or turn well. Its Ok for one person in rally calm waters. but maybe that's why it was discontinued from the Old Town production. for the right price? Maybe $100,. or so if its in good shape I would get one. but there are many better choices out there.

That has not been my experience.

I have copied the original ad for the Stillwater which states it was developed for rock solid stability for family use and beginners. 20170816_103810.png

They went back into production in 2011 and continue to identify primary stability with a keeled flat bottom. They have a 41" beam width as well.20170816_103638.png

Mine is the 1st run edition 12ft green and literally you can anchor in the Big Eddy and stand to fly fish.

Wish I could find em for $100, I would stock up and have one stashed on at least half a dozen remote ponds. :lol:

They are selling new for $999 at the Old Town outlet.Stillwater12_green_angle_zoom.pngStillwater12_green_top_lg(1).pngFLOORWALL-150616-092725.JPG

• Like 1

I have the 12 foot Old Town Pack canoe.  It's for one person.  With my stabilizers on it, it is untipable...is that a word? Front and back anchors, Fishing Buddy fish finder, very comfortable SitBacker seat.  It's a fishing machine.  All it needs is someone who knows how to fish.  Oops, this photo doesn't show the Scotty anchor attachments.

Canoe2.jpg

That Pack Canoe may  be something I could handle if I can even pick it up. where is it located?.  My days of ocean and Marathon racing canoes are long gone.  TRADES? Here is just a partial list of what types of things I have For Sale/Trade. Antiques, Antique Toys, Antique Tools, Auto/Truck parts Airsoft Guns Boat parts Books, University Textbooks Camping gear, Coleman lanterns, tents, backpacks. Collectables, Hummels, Silver Thibles, Salt & Pepper Shaker Collection & More Clothing, Military Clothing Electronics, desktop computer parts, printer scanners, photocopier machine Household items Twin Bed headboard/footboard Outboard motor parts Sporting, Hunting, Fishing, Camping, Outdoors Items. Stereo Speakers, Indoor/Outdoor Speakers And more. LP Record Albums 55 gal clean white poly barrels Water well storage/pressure tanks. 40 pound sintered lead rubber curtains. Pine Trees, Bring a Chain Saw. Tools, Toys Email me with your REAL Email.

On 12/8/2017 at 11:31 AM, WickedGoodOutdoors said:

That Pack Canoe may  be something I could handle if I can even pick it up. where is it located?.  My days of ocean and Marathon racing canoes are long gone.  TRADES? Here is just a partial list of what types of things I have For Sale/Trade. Antiques, Antique Toys, Antique Tools, Auto/Truck parts Airsoft Guns Boat parts Books, University Textbooks Camping gear, Coleman lanterns, tents, backpacks. Collectables, Hummels, Silver Thibles, Salt & Pepper Shaker Collection & More Clothing, Military Clothing Electronics, desktop computer parts, printer scanners, photocopier machine Household items Twin Bed headboard/footboard Outboard motor parts Sporting, Hunting, Fishing, Camping, Outdoors Items. Stereo Speakers, Indoor/Outdoor Speakers And more. LP Record Albums 55 gal clean white poly barrels Water well storage/pressure tanks. 40 pound sintered lead rubber curtains. Pine Trees, Bring a Chain Saw. Tools, Toys Email me with your REAL Email.

Wicked, I'm sorry if I made it sound like it was for sale.  It's not.  I love it too much.  I was stating that it needs me to be a better fisherman.  It's a great set up though.  With the front/back anchors and the stabilizers it's an awesome fishing platform.  I've added a kayak paddle to help me get to the hot spots faster.  I'm debating if I should buy a electric motor, but then I have to register it and it's treated like a regular boat.

I can't wait to get out on the water here in Virginia.  Unfortunately I'm not in a trout fishing area.  I need to drive a few hours west into the mountains to find trout waters.

Tight lines,

Russ

Canoes are made to paddle or sail. if you want a motor get a skiff.  ( need a small 16-18 ft skiff if anyone has one to donate or trade) Years ago I used to fish the Great Dismal Swamp in North Carolina and the other banks as well as the coastal area along Virginia Beach, Damneck, Sandbridge and we would rent or borrow shiittyy old canoes and rowboats, whatever we could get our hands on. Virginia has some Great fishing. Try for the Croakers and Squeteague at Ruddy inlet out off the rock jetty. Used to be able to park right on the sand dunes but its all Condos built there now.  over the years I have owned hundreds of different canoes and have paddled many others. My favourite and the best that I ever owned was an 18 ft Black River, Kevlar Adventurer with medium rocker. Sold it to a guy in Colorado a few years back and have not owned a canoe since. I most likely would not be able to pick it up anyway.  The longer it is the faster you will go, the rounder bottom give better dynamic stability and a bit of rocker helps maneuvering. I like slight tumblehome and not much height on the bow and stern as too much acts as a sail. I paddled a 17 ft Challenger for a year an won a few races with it until one of the other competitors made me an great offer as he though he would win the next race, I upgraded to the 18 ft Adventurer and started winning many more 1st place trophys, a friend and paddling buddy bought the Adventurer F model and he started beating me on the flat water straight runs but the M was better in whitewater and blasting thru haystacks. Had the C1 sidekick as a tender on my 30 ft Alura for a while and it was fun.  too bad Black River went out of business 30 years ago, they made some nice designs.  Ill dig thru some old photo albums and see if I can find pictures.

black river brouchure 2.jpg

black_river_brouchure_1.jpg

We had a 17 foot Kevlar  Mad River canoe.   Very light and very strong.  Loved it.

Russ - Great looking setup.  Don't blame you one bit for not selling!  I'm still kicking myself for not buying the Pack when seeing some at the old outlet sales when truly good deals could be found.  Seems like it would be a great single person canoe and having the Camper I can fully attest to the ease of handling the weight of these crafts at load / portage.   Now Royalex is a thing of the past though T-formex is supposedly a superior replacement - anyone with any experience with crafts manufactured from this?