Maine Fly Fish
Russ

All good things must come to an end.

Well guys it's about that time.  As of August 31 our house will be sold and I will be on the road to Virginia. My wife will already be there by then.  We will be making our home in Spring Grove just across the river from Jamestown/Williamsburg.  I'll be in the land of coastal stripers and mountain trout, not to mention more bass than I can shake a stick at. I will continue to join in the forum fun and keep in touch with many of you.  Hopefully there will one of two return trips a year to Maine to fish with everyone.

I would like to express my thanks and gratitude to everyone on this forum who made my transition from Alaska to Maine an enjoyable one.  You welcomed this outsider with open arms even though I was a Steeler fan.  I have learned so much with the help of everyone.  None of this would have been possible with out Kevin McKay.  I believe I was one of the first people to join his new forum before I even moved here.  Through his kindness, hospitality and mostly his passion for fly fishing I found the right place to inquire about FF in Maine.  Soon I was making friends online and I made my plans to join several guys at Grand Lake Stream.  Not knowing anyone, other than forum chatting, I got to the river and quickly made my face to face meetings and soon I was fishing.    A large group of us had rented a house on the river for a long weekend.  Lots of fishing and memory making.  What a great first time experience.  

There have been so many fellow fishermen who have made a difference in my life during my 11 years in Maine.  Kevin, Mike Holt, Kim, Mac, Jim and all the guys at EBFS, Selene, Karl, Dennis, Ray, Calvin, and of course, Alan.  It has been such a pleasure to have fished with you over the years.  I will plan to come back to do it again as often as I can.

For those that don't know.  My wife and I are moving to Virginia for her family reason.  This was sort of unexpected and definitely not in our plans, but when family calls, you have to go.  We will still keep our land in Lincoln to have a place to pitch a tent or RV.  

I wish everyone the very best of luck in all your future lives.  Keep catching them and releasing them.

I write this on the 5th and I hope to wet a line with some of you before I leave.  So whoever wants to spend some time on the water, fresh or salt, river or pond let me know.

Thank you all again.  

Tight lines my friends

Russ

Big_bass.JPG

Rangeley2013b.JPG

DSCF0323.JPG

Big bass 2.jpg

DSCF0066.JPG

DSCF0355.JPG

DSCF0325.JPG

DSCF0105.JPG

It will all work out for the plus, you will fish and live and we will see you from another state, be well. 

Russ

I am sorry to see you go but understand family comes first.  This is not goodbye.  See you later I think is more appropriate.  We are all only a phone call away so give us a call anytime. 

I will be in touch  before you leave.

Best of luck in your new home. I'm jealous of all the super saltwater fishing you're going to be able to do. look forward to your reports from Dixie !

Mal

Best of luck......stay in touch. Always enjoy your posts.

Ron

Good luck, change has many surprises and I'm sure you will find the favorable ones. Tight Lines!

Russ, Sorry I did not get to fish with you in Maine again. Maybe I'll see you in Virginia sometime. I haven't spent too much time with fishing friends over the last five years because my mother-in-law got a really bad case of Lyme disease and that's taken a lot of my time for visiting friends when we're in Maine. Unfortunately, she passed on from the effects of Lyme last fall, but we do now have more free time when we travel (and I already have friends I stay with in Virginia on the drive up to Maine). I don't post on here much these days but I want you to know that Minolta you gave me in AK ended up changing the course of my life. At one point my interest in photography waned to almost nothing, even though my photos starting winning awards. I nearly gave up photography altogether, but after a while I picked up that Minolta and found I enjoyed shooting it more than I ever enjoyed shooting digital cameras probably because of the lack of focus on buying the latest, greatest gadget or everyone around following the latest trend (which I suppose for hipsters might be film photography, but I'm not much of a hipster). I shoot almost all my photos on film now and most of my landscape photography is on medium and large format film, but when I shoot photos of my kids it is often on one of my many Minoltas. The simplest thing really can have a big effect on someone else's life. Thanks, Russ.

(Edit: I also like the look and uncomplicated nature of shooting film. Which isn't to say that taking good photos on film any easier just less complicated by bells and whistles on the camera.)

Russ,

Much happiness in your move......

Steve

Russ 

I will miss seeing you on the water and at events like the freeze up and eldrige bros spring event too. Keep us posted on your new fishing adventures.

Best of luck to you and family.

Ray