Maine Fly Fish
Sign in to follow this  
y'sguy

What a disappointing season .

But it really doesn't surprise me . I have been seeing things getting worse every year . Sure there were some days things were good but there was a time most all days were good . Some of you know where I Moore my boat . Back a while when I would motor in at half or less tide and I could see bottom you could see huge schools of bass scatter as I would come in . I have not seen that in way to long. Sorry for being negative but when you have seen times like some of us have seen it hurts to see things getting worse way to fast.  These days there are 100 foot party boats in the best spots like around montauk and block island with a boat load of guys that paid to go and only to kill as many bass as they can .  These prime spots also holds the fish that we hope will spawn but are getting caught up at a horrible pace. I saw the bass collapse years ago , crazy but the G.E.  pcb scare was the best thing for bass .  It shut things down and the bass really got a chance to multiply. Until the day stripers are considered a gamefish on the entire east coast things will get worse .some of you may have some good days but the truth is there aren't enough quality fish left for all of us to have great days as we onc did.

Sorry guys , just tellin it as I see it.

I got into striper fishing in 2000. I had no idea how good it was. I'd say the peak was around '02 or '03. In the good years, it wasn't uncommon to land a dozen fish between 30-40" on a tide. I'd give my left nut for another one of those days. My father is eighty. After a lifetime of chasing fish, he gave it up this year. He's healthy enough to fish, but he says he hates going out because it keep reminding him of what things used to be like.

I think making stripers a sport fish would help (it can't hurt), but I suspect that the rise in seals has had a huge effect on striped bass numbers. Full grown, seals weigh between 400-600lbs. Conservative estimates have it that each seal eats at least 2 tons of fish per year and there are estimated to be between 30-50K gray seals living off Cape Cod (up from less that a thousand in 1988). All the Chesapeake and Hudson River fish have to run that gauntlet twice a year. 

Anyway, about a month ago I mentioned my concerns to a GMRI scientist. He said, "No, the Striped Bass population is really healthy." I just shook my head.

This year was by far the best in 7 yrs. for numbers .Not big, but many fatties in the 18" to 22" size. My numbers were a little over 600 with fly + spin. Joe a good buddies whom Alan knows just hit 1600. Yes 1600,landed. some to 32". Our other partner who fished with us caught the most big ones, Largest 38"   All us fish from shore, NO BAIT  

Certainly the days huge numbers of big fish are gone. but this season had lots of plus's B)

I've only been fishing the area for about a month and a half, but I can say I saw a pretty massive school of pogies this afternoon. Of course, it was just a bit too far to access with a fly rod :(, but it certainly was great to see all of that bait getting attacked this late in the season. At this rate, it almost seems like we'll be catching striper 'til December (I say that at least half jokingly). 

You guys should be out now. Forty pounders are being caught in the surf NOW. Quit yer bitchin' and get out and look for yourselves.

This years dry warm weather has postponed the run until NOW. Look for yourselves people, don't decide whats what until you do.