Maine Fly Fish
Sign in to follow this  
Mainiac

Recent reports

From spin guys i know say the fishing right now is awesome. lots of twenty sumpthin's with a good number of over thirties. Some over forty pounds. Ain't ovah yet boys.

diddo! Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh:ph34r:

I definitely did not catch this fish in southern Maine late last week, and my friend fishing with me did not catch a bigger one two days later......

In all seriousness, most of July, August, and September were terrible this year with the exception of the Pogiefest James mentioned (I heard about it but it seemed to be a boat-only thing), so I understand why most guys seem to have quit for the year a while ago, but October has been a surprisingly good month.  

Seems like with the current state of the striper population and various bait species, and the clear impact of a warming world, we get a good spring run through about July 4th, a very slow summer and early fall, and then a decent late fall run in October. Can't say I understand the why of all this, just what I have observed the last few years.  Unfortunately, unlike points south, we don't have other inshore species like fluke, scup, Black Sea bass, bluefish, and albies to turn to when striper fishing is slow all summer. 

IMG_1353.JPG

From a spin guy(me)- Sunday was one of my best days this year with the NE breeze pushing bait up against the shore. Today, same tide, same spot and I caught a few dinks. I guess thats migration fishing though. Definitely worth getting out there again. 

6 hours ago, gbiz207 said:

From a spin guy(me)- Sunday was one of my best days this year with the NE breeze pushing bait up against the shore. Today, same tide, same spot and I caught a few dinks. I guess thats migration fishing though. Definitely worth getting out there again. 

Anytime there's been an off the ocean wind, fishing has been decent in the last 2 weeks. Tougher fishing,but the fish and bait are at your feet:ph34r: