Maine Fly Fish
Sign in to follow this  
James Browne

Big game glass build

So I got the bug to catch a bluefin tuna on the fly last year. I'm not a huge fan of how most 12-18wt graphite rods cast. So I went down another route. I was able to purchase a 2 piece 14wt 8'2" fiberglass blank from Mauri fly fishing. It was a challenge to build because outer diameter on the butt section was 7/8"!!! After some time I got a reel seat that would fit the blank and hold my hatch 11+ securely. I fit the cork piece by piece with a lot more reaming than usual and added a foam extended fighting grip (they should really be called resting grips). It has a slightly extended gimbal butt, and simple blue wraps with a couple silver accents at the ferrule. It's a heavy rod, and I'm still getting to know her better, but can already send most of the line with it, and have figured out that it's got some serious backbone to land one of these fish. 

IMG_5993.JPG

IMG_5994.JPG

IMG_6121.JPG

IMG_6122.JPG

IMG_6126.JPG

IMG_6316.JPG

Wow!  That is one beast to say the least. Ouch....did I just make a rhyme?  Looks real nice James. Could you list specs on rod, guides, etc. Would love to see a bluefin on that rod. 

Ron

On 10/31/2017 at 2:43 PM, SLC Ron said:

Wow!  That is one beast to say the least. Ouch....did I just make a rhyme?  Looks real nice James. Could you list specs on rod, guides, etc. Would love to see a bluefin on that rod. 

Ron

8'2" 14 wt 2pc, Seele Glass. Not sure what it weighs, let's just say very very heavy. It's fast action even for glass. It's hard getting used to the weight, but I'm hitting the targets and distances I need to and can throw most of a 500gr line with a 10/0 fly. All high end( not Ti) Fuji guides, snakes and strippers.  PAC bay aluminum hooded spinning reel seat, aftco aluminum gimbal butt. I did the wraps in a size a blue thread, no underwraps, two light coats of flex coat. I had to put in a cork spacer between the gimbal butt and reel seat. I built the cork handle from scratch, placed the foam grip in front of it and turned them down on the lathe. It's got wicked lifting power in the butt section. I put up a vid on the saltwater section of the rod tight to a tuna :D

• Like 1

Nice rod!  From what I hear this was the year to go for bluefin around here, and it is expected to get better.

6 hours ago, Water Rat said:

Nice rod!  From what I hear this was the year to go for bluefin around here, and it is expected to get better.

Thanks Dave!  Haven't seen you in a while, hope everything's going good!

Definitely has been a good year for Tuna, although last year was probably a bit better, not done yet though so hard to say. Weather this fall has been extremely challenging.

Theres a December commercial quota coming up, so I'll be out there for a while still. Really hoping to get some more top water shots on the fly!

• Like 1

On 11/8/2017 at 2:45 PM, James Browne said:

Thanks Dave!  Haven't seen you in a while, hope everything's going good!

Definitely has been a good year for Tuna, although last year was probably a bit better, not done yet though so hard to say. Weather this fall has been extremely challenging.

Theres a December commercial quota coming up, so I'll be out there for a while still. Really hoping to get some more top water shots on the fly!

Everything is going good, just got a bit overextended on some volunteer efforts this fall. Should start seeing me again soon :)  I want to check out some of the new UV stuff you guys got, looks like some nice stuff.  Glad to hear it is still happening out there, can't wait to hear what it is like catch one on the fly!

That rod is a beast like Ron said. Looks nice can’t wait to see what you catch with it. Good luck