Maine Fly Fish
Sign in to follow this  
LaBonte207

Anyone Skin a Partridge?

Anyone ever skin out partridge? I usually end up with anywhere between 10-20 a season and just pluck feathers, but I'd like to turn at least one into a cape. Anyone ever try this? Tips or tricks? Thanks in advance for any info! 

What I do with a partridge to clean them is breast them.  I flop them on their back, find the sternum/breast bone and place a thumb on either side.  I then push and spread/peel down the sides of the breast.  I know I could continue up and over the shoulder and get the neck that way.  The wings would present a problem so I would suggest cutting them with dikes and continue working around until you get what you need.  If you want then entire thing intact then you should grow two more hands.  lol

Upperandy is pretty spot on. I've been skinning fowl and other animals for quite some time. It's a pretty simple process but can take a little time. I use a sharp knife and start around the underside of the throat and slowly work the skin off. It's important to get the meat removed because that stuff can get gross if not. Cutting the wings off is the easiest, and if you really want to keep them, I'd recommend pulling the skin off of the first two joints because there's a lot of meat in between those bones that will rot. 

After you get them skinned, you want to soak the skin in something to remove the grease. Dawn dish soap and warm water work fine, but white gas really works well but is a little more pricey. Let it soak for a bit then let them dry and coat the skin in Borax or salt for a few weeks--I prefer Borax. 

I don't hunt myself but do prefer to prevent useful things from being thrown away, so if you're willing, I'll gladly take some of those birds off of your hands...

Thanks guys,

I'll be heading out Friday-Saturday and if I am so lucky as to get a surplus, I'd be more than happy to share. I try not to let anything go to waste either as far as meat goes. I wonder if there are any uses for the bones. Might make a cool bodkin. I'll let you know Ftyer either way. 

19 hours ago, Ftyer said:

Upperandy is pretty spot on. I've been skinning fowl and other animals for quite some time. It's a pretty simple process but can take a little time. I use a sharp knife and start around the underside of the throat and slowly work the skin off. It's important to get the meat removed because that stuff can get gross if not. Cutting the wings off is the easiest, and if you really want to keep them, I'd recommend pulling the skin off of the first two joints because there's a lot of meat in between those bones that will rot. 

After you get them skinned, you want to soak the skin in something to remove the grease. Dawn dish soap and warm water work fine, but white gas really works well but is a little more pricey. Let it soak for a bit then let them dry and coat the skin in Borax or salt for a few weeks--I prefer Borax. 

I don't hunt myself but do prefer to prevent useful things from being thrown away, so if you're willing, I'll gladly take some of those birds off of your hands...

Something tells me that a decent bodkin could definitely be crafted out of a bone, a needle, some epoxy, and a dremel...good thinking. But, thank you, I definitely appreciate that; I'm in Portland and will travel a bit, depending on where you are. Also, feel free to shoot any questions about skinning my way.

Good luck on the hunt as well.

I use borax also for skins salt doesn’t work as well in my opinion. As with saving any feathered skin or furs getting all the meat/fat off the skin is important or it will rot/ stink . I use borax for both. If you can’t get it all rub borax in it let it sit for a bit then go back and try to scrape it again