Maine Fly Fish
Sign in to follow this  
James Browne

Finally got tight....

to a bluefin tuna. Most badass fish you will encounter in our waters. We had hot Intel from a friend and as soon as we got in the zone started finding busting tuna. They were up and down real quick and we did run and gun a bunch without getting close enough. At one point we were just cruising and I noticed a few halfbeaks moving nervously. We got close and shut down. We waited a minute saw a few fish bust decently close and then Trevor called out busting fish close behind me told me to throw a backcast. Right then we tangled lines, he was on spin with braid. It came untangled with a quick tug and I threw a shot on my backcast, fish were about 50 something feet away.  My shot landed right next to them and they turned and followed. One came close then turned off, then another came in hot and ate about 15' away from the boat. Watching a 100+++ pound bluefin follow and eat so close is something that'll be stuck in my head for a long while. I set the hook hard. Fish took off at what felt like Mach 10, actually closer to 40 something MPH.  I've caught plenty of tuna on gear, but to feel the raw power and insane speed on a fiberglass fly rod was truly impressive.  It went straight under the boat, not good!  I got onto the reel clean which was a relief. I managed to work around the bow and the thing was absolutely screaming. Did a couple hundred yards of backing then the Hatch 11+ slowed it quite a bit. Then it took off even faster did another 100 something yards stupid fast and broke my straight 60# fluoro leader clean! Total heart breaker, it's been a lot of work to get one eat, taken some serious beatings in nasty seas, but better luck next time I guess!! 

Turn up the volume! 

• Like 2

Nicely done James!!! Also like the bonus busting fish in the background!

Congrats James. At least you got hooked up. That's half the battle. OK, maybe not half the battle but a big step forward. Even though you had a long line release it had to be a thrill to have it on as long as you did. I'm sure you will get one sooner than later.

Nice hookup , at least you got that thrill.

Charlie loves them halfbeaks. 

Well done!  Just hooking one of those beasts is impressive.

James, How big (pounds) do you think that fish might have been. Just curious.

On 11/1/2017 at 7:19 AM, arrowflinger said:

Congrats James. At least you got hooked up. That's half the battle. OK, maybe not half the battle but a big step forward. Even though you had a long line release it had to be a thrill to have it on as long as you did. I'm sure you will get one sooner than later.

Thanks Dave! I got a real good long look at that fish, I would estimate 75-125 pounds (just been saying 100 although my view was straight down its back, my friend on the stern saw it broadside and said it was fat and big so could be bigger tough to say) and 50-60 something inches.  It feels like way more than half the battle, definitely a big step in the right direction,but yeah in terms of the actual fight not even close. I had it on for a couple minutes, that thing would have taken an absolute bare minimum 40 minutes and probably would have gone into hours. Finding these fish in the size range and feeding situation to allow for shots on the fly is EXTREMELY challenging. Then if you get the conditions and find them, you still have to get close enough which is equally challenging. They can be very spooky on boat traffic.  Being able to ID the bait and make quick gear changes is also tough especially in rough seas, and the fish have amazing eyesight so it's important.  It's definitely been the most challenging fish I've ever targeted. Hooking one has left me fully obsessed and determined to land one!

7 hours ago, PFFlyer said:

seele glass?

Yup, got an 8'2" 14 wt blank that I built very slowly over the spring and summer. Love it!

On 11/1/2017 at 9:47 AM, Mainiac said:

Way to go James !

Thanks Mal, definitely a rush!  Gonna be hard going back to that bait that we usually fish for :lol: :lol::D;)

Congrats that is very Cool James. That is definitely not an easy task. I have fished for them with gear and its a game of patience for sure. Hopefully the hard work will pay off with one landed! 

On 11/2/2017 at 4:35 PM, McGregor956 said:

Congrats that is very Cool James. That is definitely not an easy task. I have fished for them with gear and its a game of patience for sure. Hopefully the hard work will pay off with one landed! 

Thanks and you ain't kidding about patience, been beating myself up over this one. But then I think about all the fish Ive lost on big conventional gear with 200# leader and I feel better. They are extremely difficult fish to land I should be psyched to have stayed connected to one as long as I did!!

19 hours ago, James Browne said:

Thanks and you ain't kidding about patience, been beating myself up over this one. But then I think about all the fish Ive lost on big conventional gear with 200# leader and I feel better. They are extremely difficult fish to land I should be psyched to have stayed connected to one as long as I did!!

I wouldn't beat yourself up over it. I know that sinking feeling when you lose one on conventional gear; definitely a kick in the gut. I would be seriously pumped just getting hooked up. Keep at it and i'm sure it will all pan out at some point.