Maine Fly Fish
Sign in to follow this  
StrippinStreamahs

Magnum's Dragon Tails

Has anyone fished with these things? They are pretty much a sluggo that you can tie on the hook and weigh next to nothing, Ive seen some videos and they have incredible action.  I guess they were created to fish for tarpon but I see no reason why they wouldn't work for stripers.  Easy to tie with and easy to cast.  Need to find some white deer hair for spinning and try to spin up a head that will really get the water moving around it and make the tail really dance.  But the question that begs to be asked, can these things even be considered a fly? Tie it to the shank, palmer some zonker and you're good to go.  Personally, I can cast them on a fly rod and theres no plastic in them, good to go. 

temporary.JPG

They're made by orvis but I bought them from these guys: http://www.cascadecrest.com/Dragon-Tails-p/447.htm .  They were a little late on the order because the guy who runs the day-to-day had a child but had great customer service to get it to me on time and threw in a few materials.  They come in packs of 5 and are much cheaper than I had expected, they seem pretty high quality, ive just heard that if you snip the tail then you have to put a little glue on the tail to keep from unraveling. 

i bought them way before orvis was making them, they use to be a kids toy called the squirming worm or something like that. got them super cheap online but the color selection wasn't the greatest. Heard the new "dragon tails" had the same action but were a little more durable.

They are, they were attached to a ball and it was a cat toy...I used to buy them in bulk at the Dollar store in chartreuse. purple and orange and make bass/pike flies out of them. The fly I tied I named Secret Weapon Number 9...for a cat has nine lives....

I  used them a while back when my kids used to have them as toys. They do have great action. The problem is they weren't durable, maybe these Dragon tails are a little more rugged.