Maine Fly Fish
Sign in to follow this  
Kevin McKay

Do you care about shoot outs?

I think there is some valuable information that can help you make a decision if

you are in the market for an item on the shootout roster.

Especiall interesting is when an item gets high marks verses a competitors product that cost 30 to 40% more and the lower priced item scores way better than the pricy hyped product.

Ray

I would think it would be way more fun, doing my own shoot out. If Im looking for a 5 weight then grab your 5 weight reel with line and hit the shops and start casting;)

To me it would be a no,  the rod and line are more important ,Pretty much the reel is (line holder) ,Of course on fish into the pounds a drag would important, To dealers and manufacturers its exposure. Old guy with basics $150 -$275 rod, Cortland lines and reels without colors, pictures., : I enjoy playing a fish with the  feel of the tug in my hand.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, RAW said:

To me it would be a no,  the rod and line are more important ,Pretty much the reel is (line holder) ,Of course on fish into the pounds a drag would important, To dealers and manufacturers its exposure. Old guy with basics $150 -$275 rod, Cortland lines and reels without colors, pictures., : I enjoy playing a fish with the  feel of the tug in my hand.

+1

Ron

4 hours ago, Jack McDonald said:

Absolutely!  I have cast many rods over the years and you can tell a good rod from a dog!  The folks at Yellowstone Angler have years of experience and they fish a lot!  I respect their opinions.  A few years ago everyone wanted a FAST rod.  So Temple Fork made some cheap fast rods that everyone raved about.  I was going to Florida to fish (7 years ago) so I took my reels, and to save space (and to justify buying more rods) I purchased 2 Temple Fork rods.  A 5wt and an 8 weight.  Hated them both! Sold them on Ebay.  Today rod builders are building better rods that can load well and carry line for distance.  Some of the better rods are Loomis and Scott that have pushed ahead of the rest.  I know many Mainers love Sage and I have owned several but have sold them all.  I know Trident had a shoot out with a bunch of people casting rods in a gym/field house.  Some of those folks were poor casters with very little experience.  I know some will say they count too.  No they don't!  Not when it comes to passing judgement on how a rod performs.  How do you know what a rod can handle in close and be accurate, if you are a poor caster?  How would you be able to judge how a rod can hold line in the air for real distance, if you can't double haul?  Most rods today are good rods.  The fish don't know if you have a $900 rod or a $150 rod.  The bottom line (no pun intended) is if you like your rod and it works for you then you have a winner!

Your are right on rods, I believe the question was just on reels.

8 hours ago, Kevin McKay said:

I would think it would be way more fun, doing my own shoot out. If Im looking for a 5 weight then grab your 5 weight reel with line and hit the shops and start casting;)

Good point, but for me to hit the shops to test equiptment would start with the nearest fly shop to me with an available gear selection on hand for testing is about 50 miles away and the next is over 60 miles. Just not a practical situation and very un-fortunately that some good shops have vanished over the past 15 years.

Eldridge Bros and Bears Den are two of my best bets!

Ray

Since rods were brought up, At Eldredges Expo this past spring Kevin handed me the new Scott Meridian 8wt. , I thought I had a bionic arm :o An absolute effortless longer cast. I've owned an older Scott SAS 9.6 8wt. for 15 yrs. Not even close to feel and results in the cast.When I lived in Ma I had a few chances to throw T & T rods and was not  impressed with normal length rods. Spey rods were great.. I know many guides who refuse to use bright or flashy reels . Sometimes we buy with our eyes, ;)

Often time these shootouts are done by people with way more experience and time on the water than me so..... Yes I do put stock in them, then unfortunately my wallet tells me what I can and can not buy.  Good resource.