Maine Fly Fish
Kevin McKay

I have been thinking about shutting down the site

but after talking to a few members realize that would be crazy.

I have been thinking about maineflyfish.com a lot lately. Over the past couple of years I have had some life changes and have gotten away form the site which I miss.

I started the site to help new people that are getting into fly fishing. I feel it has gotten away from that and  hopefully over the winter I will get back to posting more about the basics and asking questions that maybe someone is unsure of asking or is lurking and looking for answers. I hope you all will respond even though you have answered it a hundred times we have all started some where.

This site has a great community and many have become friends because of this forum. I hope to see some of the old faces back. Maybe you could encourage them to post some of their fish pictures or just stop by and say hi.

we all have had our differences over the years and from this point forward I will not be holding any grudges life is to short.

I want to see the great discussion this winter we have with out getting into a pissing matches.

I am going to redo the entomology blog on the homepage, I think this is a great asset to new and old fly fishers here in Maine

I have just come up with a new idea for a video blog plus we want to shoot another 5 or more Journal shows. There will be more post from Stac about being a newbie fly fisher and if you haven't read her stuff, she is funny and is really getting into fly fishing.

I am always looking for help, so if someone want to blog or make a fly tying video let me know. This site is not suppose to be about me but with out help it ends up that way. 

It is a great site, and a great resource.  Glad you decided to keep it going B) 

Kevin,

I truly hope that this site can continue ( from a very selfish perspective). I have learned so much from this site. I also have met and made friends with several people on this site. And because of the things just mentioned I got to go places and do things I most likely wouldn't have done. So for that I'm very grateful.

I have (in the past) been on an archery forum and a tradition muzzle loader forum. Some where better than others and some no longer exist. I don't care what the sport/hobby is there will be disagreements between people that are passionate about there sport. I think this forum has handled it self pretty well. A good debate can be very educational and we can all learn from them.

You are  right,  life is too short and we only get one shot at it so we want to make the most of it or at least I do. So if that means turning off this forum than so be it. Life will go on. I would be sad to see it go and miss all that this site has given me etc. Hopefully, in some small way I have contributed something of use on this forum. It's been great and as said in my first sentence, I TRULY hope it continues.

It is a great site.  Like you said Kevin many of us don't post because we don't know much and don't want to look foolish (stupid).   We started fishing late in life and still have a lot going on so it's hard to invest the time we should.  Soooo I guess I'l start the question thing with "when you do the entomology blog could you reference what flies and size would represent that bug for the time of year"?  Right now I just keep trying anything I think the fish might like.  I'll stop here and ask that you guys be gentle with me here.

Without this site I truly believe I wouldn't have caught a striper on the fly.  When I moved back to Maine and decided that I wanted to branch out from freshwater to  saltwater fly fishing, I had no clue what to do.  I grew up spin fishing for stripers but never even thought of trying them on the fly because of the challenge it presented. I had tried in previous years but could not seem to get a fish to bite, so I was fairly discouraged.  Only until I started to read the salt water blog did I start to learn, and over the past 2 years a serious addiction has developed.  The help from everyone on here is unmatched by anything, so much knowledge in one place combined with great people make this site my most frequently visited site.  Over time Ive become more confident with posting questions on things that I am curious about, because even though there may be a few smartass comments here and there, the amount of good feedback overshadows it all. I really hope this site continues, because as much as I learn along the way, there is always more to learn from so many willing people on this site. 

I have learned a lot on here, great resource, would be sad to see it go but if it does, I'm thankful I was able to learn so much on here; I started fly fishing 4 years ago and without this resource (and other online resources), I surely wouldn't be where I am now in terms of skill/accomplishment. 

P.S. we need more fishing reports! (I will post one sometime this month) :ph34r: it's amazing if you go back say 5 years into the archives and see how much things have changed, people used to share a LOT of info on here. 

I really enjoy it Kevin, but if there's some savings for you/your time...you'd get no argument from me in keeping it open only during the old school fishing season parameters....

The site is only as strong as it's ACTIVE members, Kevin and others put in  lots of work to create this personal and unique forum going. Kevin can do all he wants, but you the members are the life bloodline, I know times have changed, we now spend so much time texting we forget the human aspect of photos, stories, joined conversations. We want to read and view, but that's a one way street.  So the answer is to try to do a little more, not much. . Or there will be a time where it closes:o

I would hate to see this site end. I have developed some great relationships and new friends through the site. I will admit that some posts get more than a little bit carried away and off track, however, nobody forces folks to read or follow those conversations. Hopefully those of us who participate and enjoy the interaction of this site can take an active role in helping to bring this site back to its former glory.

Ron

I would hate to see this site end. I was one of those lurkers for awhile before posting. I realized that the people are incredibly awesome and helpful on the site. I've learned so much in the short 5 years I've been back into fly fishing. I would also say it's an amazing feat to create something like this site. Just the amount of information and knowledge posted on the site is great. I am very appreciative of the work I'm sure goes into keeping the site up and going...

Kevin, please keep the website up and running.  It is invaluable to all of us flyfishers.  It made my transition to Maine much more enjoyable.  The members welcomed me with open arms.  The friends I've made here will be life long friends.

New blood needs to post more. Us veterans are about spent on ideas and notions.

It is nice that some of the newer members have taken the time to acknowledge that the forum has made a difference.  The disturbing thing is that there are many more that are either lurkers or members who feel they have nothing to contribute.  That is the furthest from the truth!  

Let me tell you a story about two young people who helped me.  

We met through this forum many years ago.  I won't mention last names so as not to embarrass them.  Their first names are Caleb and Austin. Even though they are all grown into young men now moved and have lives of their own.   I will always be eternally grateful for the kindness and patience they showed me.  They really influenced my life! 

Any kindness you show to another comes back twofold! 

It had been probably twenty years prior to my meeting them since I had tied a fly and even then they were not anything special.  Never let it be said by an older person that we cannot learn from the young.  

Until that point I brought them fishing. They were young enough that they were riding bicycles and yet old enough be wanting to drive a car.  I was not only able but wanted to take them along with some of the other forum members. Both of them were already pretty accomplished fly fishermen and their youthful exuberance made us all laugh.  

Caleb and Austin took me under their wing and started helping me by re-learning all of the proper tying techniques.  In addition they showed me fly patterns that I never would have attempted on my own.

Since that time there have been other  folks on this forum that I have learned something from.  With age these young people that I meet now are older and probably not so young.  I guess the keyword is younger even though they may be only a few years younger, I still learn something. 

If you are out there lurking, consider joining.  Those of you who are members no matter your age, there must be something that occurs to you that would be worth sharing.  It does not matter that some of us may have heard it before.  There are enough new to the forum that the information you provide could be of real value.

• Like 1

I am quilty of not posting much, I simply have been out straight for a couple years now. Family obligations this year, the shop is growing in customers, all is good. Last year I fished fresh once, salt out of state once, that is it. 

Yep great site it would be disappointing to me if it shut down. I suck at fly fishing but I have learned quite a bit from the site.

Maniac says it well.  If your new or have questions post em.  Allows for good info sharing and keeps things moving. I have learned plenty here and have run into some nice folks who are on here often.  Very helpful site in that many of the posters have years of experience and much of it local which is an awesome resource.

Kevin,

Before considering such a rash decision. Think about what this site has given to so many including yourself.

It is one of 3 sites that I read daily without fail. I look forward to seeing what is there.

Personally, I am still a newbie but this site has me fishing productively and proficiently. I have bought 2 quality rods and 1 reel from members of this site. I have attended 2 of your film series in the off season. I took a fly tying class and now tie 90% of my own flies. I have fished new waters and expanded both my range and skill level. I have personally introduced 2 new fly fishermen to the sport and have equipped my grandson to spark the fire and hopefully get a new generation started like my grandfather did with me. I have spent a considerable amount of money locally supporting my habits and the the economy/fishing industry. (Gas, food, 2 Stevens nets, Peak vice, tying supplies and who doesn't love to stop and see Penny on our way by)

This site also contributed greatly to my decision to do my 2-wheeled bucket trip to Labrador.

I have met numerous folks associated with this site and our sport and formed other online friendships.

Despite barely knowing you personally, I have seen your children grow up, cared for your dogs, been interested in what is going on in your life and seen fish and places that I may never get to. Now, I get to enjoy seeing Stacy develop her skills that will likely surpass my own abilities in a rush. It is fun to see and share in our hobby.

The benefits are always there but not always tangible.  I encourage you to do an assessment to see if the site brings you similar benefits (personal and professional in your case) and if it does...please continue forward.  If it does not and you find it takes away from your life...then I would equally encourage you to shut it down as life is just too short.

Either way, thank you for the opportunities that we have had to benefit from and enjoy the site.

Sixguns (Rob) 

I'm glad you're not shutting the site down. I'm new to Maine (from Michigan) but have been fly fishing for several years. With a young son at home, its hard to get out of the house and fish. When I do, I try and make it worthwhile by following all the tips and tricks I read about on this site.

I'm learning more from this site about my new home state and looking forward to the opportunity to introduce fishing in Maine to my son when he's older. I was able to get him out once this year.... see pic. He was a great counter-weight in the fight to bring this lunker in - chub out of the Kennebago in September. My son turned 1 on September 8 this year.

I'll share more about fishing with little ones as I learn it. 

IMG_0313.JPG

• Like 2

Kevin, If your going to Shut down the site,? Here is an idea. 

Could we get a group of Fishermen together who would like to take it and expand it into a larger more comprehensive endeavour?

The Boat: Needs a Website. Can't rely on only Facebook, As they say don't put all your Eggs in one Bucket. Any Volunteers that can do this for the Free Veterans Fishing Trips?
https://www.facebook.com/groups/945320308893705

We are looking for Sponsors to help provide Veterans with Fishing Trips (Fresh & Salt Water) and Free Ash Scatterings at Sea.
Would you help by donating your company’s products, services or cash donation?. check out all the photo Albums on this page for ideas of things we need to function. We will add your company to our list of Sponsors. I am a Disabled Veteran myself and need help with this endeavor, both financial and physical as I can not do it alone. Need help launching the boat or people to chip in to be able to afford a dock at the local marina and other expenses, fuel, equipment and maintenance so that we can use the boat. Please pass the word to all your friends and join the page The Boat is in Southern, Maine
https://www.facebook.com/groups/945320308893705

001 fish.png

Love this site, I try to post as much as deemed necessary. I have also learned a great deal from this site. It would be a tragedy to see it shut down. 

Wow this post was a while ago just getting to it now.... I do also love those site I check it daily and post as much as I can when I have the time. I have met a bunch of great people here and made friends and would be said if the site ever disappears. I think reports have gotten less do to to many people discouraging people about accidentally spot burning or someone taking a hero shot or many other stupid things to complain about when someone is just trying to share a memorably moment. If people could enjoy the post rather then criticize people more would be posted in my opinion. Tell someone you kept a fish here and see what happens. A **** show. I don’t keep fish but doesn’t bother me when people do if it’s within the law. To be honest this is a great place even with the debates sometimes they like said above help people understand a different point of view so that’s a good thing. I will try to do more reports this year and other random posts. Kevin thanks for this wonderful place please don’t let it go

On 12/4/2017 at 1:12 PM, amg800 said:

I'm glad you're not shutting the site down. I'm new to Maine (from Michigan) but have been fly fishing for several years. With a young son at home, its hard to get out of the house and fish. When I do, I try and make it worthwhile by following all the tips and tricks I read about on this site.

I'm learning more from this site about my new home state and looking forward to the opportunity to introduce fishing in Maine to my son when he's older. I was able to get him out once this year.... see pic. He was a great counter-weight in the fight to bring this lunker in - chub out of the Kennebago in September. My son turned 1 on September 8 this year.

I'll share more about fishing with little ones as I learn it. 

Kevin - great site with great people on here.  Most everyone I've yet to place a name with their faces though I'm sure I've crossed paths with a number at previous Eldredge Bros events.  To me, it seems like a great forum for new and old alike between the tips and comeraderie.

AMG800- welcome to Maine and nice work dad!  

My son is about to turn 6 months.  His first Christmas gift was the Echo Gecko outfit.  Will it be a few years before he uses it, sure.  Will I ever forget the joy I had buying it and watching "him unwrap it"??  Never!   

Can't wait for this season.  We bought the Bob stroller for rougher terrain and the Osprey pack for others so he can be present on trips - fingers crossed my casting doesn't fail either of us as his mother would have a tough time forgiving me!

On 4/15/2018 at 7:20 AM, Kevin McKay said:

Site not going anywhere until I do;)

Glad to hear it. I'm guilty of not posting a whole lot anymore. But the site is still fantastic and, if it weren't for this site, I wouldn't have met some of the best people in the world.