Maine Fly Fish
Sign in to follow this  
RAW

Salmon River update and tips

We are into prime time for fresh chromers, The late Sept to early Nov fish follow salmon for the eggs. These are called hot fish, they can run the river in 3 days, drop back and usually are always moving in every depth of water, It doesn't take long for them to go into hiding and shy away from even 5 lb tippet.. Now fresh fish are going thru the DSR ($25 a day bargain) for non educated Chrome!.With water temps under 40 degrees is ideal. Steelhead are extremely smart and get educated quick to fisherman their various techniques. So now you need to fish areas with defined seams and fish the soft water edge.Stealth is number 1 for good success. If you are looking for the highest rate of hookups ,fish eggs/globugs thru this period. Eggs need to be within 6" of bottom as rolling eggs would be.  

To me swinging flies are at a disadvantage now as steelhead are in zones all day. My preference is small strike indicators , This time of year there is snow and ultimate quiet to go with ice. Mr., Steelhead hears everything.. In a few days I will post my 25 yr, proven formula

100_2551.JPG

100_1765.JPG

IT has been a while since I made it to the tribs, but a few points I would echo. 

1. For the cost of a few beers you can fish the DSR, and have pretty water all to yourself. This is an absolute no brainer. 

2. The fish are spooky and so are the takes. 

3. Once you find soft water, Commit to it. I once pulled 4 Fish out of a nondescript seam the size of a bathtub, that I wouldn’t bet held a single fish  

4. Never underestimate the value of hot coffee, hot soup, and real wool! It can make a day at DSR really fun, because you’ll be a long walk from your car, and God that place is cold. 

I haven't fished up there in years but man, these stories are stoking the fire!  Agreed on all of the above, my rule of thumb was "if I'm not hooking bottom, I'm not catching fish."  Thanks for posting!