Maine Fly Fish
brosa1450

Are you a Creature of...

..habit?

was at a fly shop and got to chatting with an employee. Discussing striper fishing both with a boat and from shore.

I mentioned how one of my biggest struggles is being a creature of habit and wanting to catch fish (sometimes) rather than risk getting skunked due to seeking out new honey holes or likely areas to then return to at different stages in the tide.

So, who else has this bad habit of having habits?! And what hve you done about it?

Hoping to spark up some discussion here, if we can’t fish for em mine as well talk about em!!

Oh ya. I'm a big time creature of habit. Then again I catch a lot of stripers.

I really try hard not to stick with 'known' places.

In the mountains I usually try to make myself fish at least a dozen or so 'new' places every year. 'New' to me means someplace I've never tried or at least a place I haven't tried in over 10 years. Last year I fished one spot that I hadn't fished since 1964. This season I only got to four new places because I spent more time fishing saltwater.

The problem I'm having in finding new saltwater places has been parking. It gets worse every year, it seems. So, I tend to end up in places where I can park.

Oh yeah! I have that habit big time. Because I only get to  fish salt water once a year, I will go back to where I have caught fish before. But I have learned some stuff over the past couple of years and have more confidence that I know where stripers can and/or might be so I may do more exploring. And for us non-locals parking can be/is a reason I fish the same old places.

On the fresh water side of things I tend to go to places I like and know. But I'm trying to force myself to explore and fish different water. When I fishing around home I don't explore much because quite often my time is limited so I go where I know I can catch fish. Doesn't mean I do.:rolleyes::D

The guy I was talking to was speaking of sight fishing for 20-30” bass from a boat....in the same cove as where I had spent many many mornings drifting along a drop off...

Little did did I know I was merely 2000ft from this spot where at a specific tide you could sight fish in 4 feet of water for big bass!

In saltwater winds tides and buddies determine my day. Have 6-8 spots 

I fell into the trap of habit two years ago when I first started fly fishing in the salt, and found a spot that I have only ever once seen one other fly fisherman (plus a few spin).   It was a bit of a walk from the parking area, but it was absolutely worth the walk.  I was very comfortable catching 25"-30" fish and went back to the same spot every time I went. I finally broke the habit when I was more hungry to find spots that bigger fish hang out more frequently, and have never looked back.  I still go to that spot during certain times of the year, but often don't fish there more than 2-3 times in a row. I personally hate going to places that I know have a high chance of seeing a lot of people, but sometimes that is all that I am able to swing.  I find myself driving farther and farther away from home and walking farther to find new spots.  Last year taught me to not be a creature of habit because theres always new places/techniques to be found to catch more/bigger fish, which is much more rewarding.  Since wanting to break the habit, I purchased a kayak, which opens up SO many more options.  I do not fish out of it all too much, but getting to those hard to reach points/islands where there is almost no pressure has huge benefits. 

Sad to say but same place 90% of the time because it is close to home and I can get back to do other things.  Keep saying I'm going to explore but haven't made it yet.  THIS IS THE YEAR TO EXPLORE.

I bought a "big" boat this year and while I did a lot of exploring and found plenty of new spots, I still spent a good amount of time fishing some of my old wading spots but from the other side. I highly recommend doing that--you learn so much about the fish when you start to figure out the same areas in different ways (both figuring out what you are doing and what the fish are doing) and you can then use that to strategize how to fish other, new places.

Over the years I have thrown a fly into every rock from Richmond island to the mousam River . So yes l am a creature of habit looking in the same areas , plenty of real estate to look at .