Maine Fly Fish
Sign in to follow this  
Mainiac

Anybody see................

. the report WCSH did on the algae bloom in Casco bay earlier this month ? WTF !!!! Algae blooms in December ?! In Maine !?  Ya sumpthin' is ****ed up !

This past seasons strange events were triggered by algae blooms also. They drove the bait and fish out of the shallows where the warmer water promotes such blooms. Not everywhere, but certainly where I normally fish. What's causing this ?

We all know. It's the worlds biggest cash crop.   Cultivated lawns. Phosphorous from the fertilization of millions of acres of lawns eventually seeps into the watersheds thus the ocean. This occurs from Nova Scotia to Florida. Metric tons of fertilizers dumped on these lawns to make them look pretty. Thats  whats screwing up the coastal waters the worst right now.

The phosphorous feeds the plankton which feeds the algae which blooms. Makes sense.

This is something we will have to put up with, unless you want to challenge Scott or the other big lawn fertilizer producers. 

Seems like we're being TOLD to put up with a lot!

Overfishing of bait species for pills and fertilizer, pollution of our waters, commercial fishing of gamefish, destruction of ocean front by developers, lack of  access to public waters by developed areas and non-native snobbery. I could go on and on.

Ain't you guys sick of this shite ? Do something !:angry:

Phosphates are in dishwashing detergents and laundry detergents depending on brand. I go phosphate free myself. I know some countries and states have a ban on certain phosphates. Do what you can. 

• Like 2

The whole thing is a bummer; our fisheries have so much working against them, yet we all expect more out of them. Literally everything we do has a negative impact on our environment, not just water environments either. Whether it's wearing synthetic clothing while fishing, using too light of tippet, losing flies, mishandling fish for a picture, choosing terrible cosmetic products (go with Dr. Bronners if you don't already), or anything else, everything that we do does usually carry a negative impact--the more you know about these things the crappier it sounds, but at least you then have the wherewithal to stray away from these unfortunate practices . As fisherman and people who enjoy the outdoors, we should hold ourselves to a higher responsibility to preserve these habitats, especially whenever so few people actually care. We live in a country that often believes natural resources are infinite and are there to serve us, that's just not true, if it were, well, I bet we'd all complain a lot less about thins like menhaden being overfished.

Feel free to throw suggestions out on what can be done; I do what I can as much as I can, even to the point that, if I lose a fly in the water, I don't go home until I've picked up enough trash to overcompensate for my negligence.

And yes, Mainiac, it's a terrible thing to be seeing algae blooms in December, give it ten more years and I bet we'll be seeing speedos and bikinis in December as well...

Don't think I want to see anyone who posts on this site wearing a "speedo"!!!!

Ron

• Like 1

It is unfortunate, death by a thousand cuts so to speak. 

I remember I use to work at HomeDepot as a part time gig in the lawn and garden section during my undergrad years. I studied wildlife ecology and was well aware of the harmful impacts fertilizers and other lawn "improving" products could have on our fisheries. I use to tell people that all that fertilizer was a rip off and that most lawn products were doing more harm than good. Probably cost HomeDepot a few thousand bucks over that summer, just trying to do what I can. 

I actually heard/saw that on the news (halfway paying attention getting kids ready for school) and thought they were replaying something from earlier in the year. Saw this on July 16 in Diamond Cove. I have never seen this stuff anywhere but in the marsh. Something is definitely happening.

DockMung.JPG