Maine Fly Fish
Sign in to follow this  
TGIF

Trolling - Harpswell

Hey all,

as i shares before, I am an aspiring saltwater fisher. I am also a new land owner in Harpswell at the mouth of the new meadows river. I will be “one of those people from away, arriving on the weekends”... feel free to withhold the disparaging commentary :)

I have been tying herring, pollack and mackerel flies, plus black, white, Chartruese and olive clausers, per mal’s prior bait post that was super helpful. 

I will have boat access... but it is a Big ocean    

I would love any feedback, ideas, direction or fly patterns you care to share  I have been scouring google earth, and see some nice structure in the area  

Thanks,

TGIF

thats a great area, only been on a boat once there but if it was me I would start at the boat landing and start learning the water

congrats on new land

That's my stomping grounds. Look for moving water.  Flats - both mud and sand - hold fish on the last part of the incoming tide / first part of the outgoing, but the fishies don't like engine noise in shallow water. Stop upwind and/or upcurrent and drift for best results.  Trollers - and there are plenty of them -  do catch fish, but it's usually one and done (if they are lucky), and then you have to rest the flat for quite awhile.  If you drift quietly into the "bucket" then drift quietly out, you can often catch multiple fish on a drift, go back, and do it again.  An electric motor is very handy.  Water clarity is fairy low in that area, so I like big/meaty flies with a bit of flash.  Get a chart and know how to use it...plenty of places upriver hold fish, but it's also easy to take out a lower unit or run aground if you aren't careful about where you are running and when in the tide cycle.  Plenty of red and green cans mark the main channels.

Thanks guys, I should have been more clear... this was written in a taxi ride home from a pub. :P

i am not a troller for fish, just for info. :)

I’ll be Fly fishing, but the kids will likely be chunking for a little while. Of course just jigging up some mackerel is a blast for them  

I am excited to learn the ropes, but flies and techniques such as Aldo mentioned are absolutely perfect. 

I don't know how sea worthy your boat will be, but there is a lot of unproductive water there too.  Some coves and points in the river can be good on moving tides, but outside the river, particularly if you head north (err...east) can be some excellent fishing.  But, it isn't always for the faint of heart.  Be careful and pick your days.