Maine Fly Fish
Sign in to follow this  
RAW

A little Westfield River (Ma. ) magic

Son and a buddy had a nice 2 hrs. last week, Buddy's camera reads 2009 since then:o 

PTDC0001.JPG

PTDC0052.JPG

PTDC0053.JPG

PTDC0054.JPG

Great spot, they put some big fish in there. Trout Unlimited has a weekend there every year and I've caught some big fish there. Those rainbows look healthy. Beautiful spot to fish. Never caught a tiger trout there, but I'm guessing that's what the other fish are.

9 hours ago, Igloo lake said:

Great spot, they put some big fish in there. Trout Unlimited has a weekend there every year and I've caught some big fish there. Those rainbows look healthy. Beautiful spot to fish. Never caught a tiger trout there, but I'm guessing that's what the other fish are.

Yes tigers, all caught in fast water in "Westfield";)

I may have fished the Westfield River with my grandfather  a few times. So long ago I don't remember what we caught. I know he would say that it held big browns.

Never heard of or seen tiger trout. What the heck???

3 hours ago, arrowflinger said:

I may have fished the Westfield River with my grandfather  a few times. So long ago I don't remember what we caught. I know he would say that it held big browns.

Never heard of or seen tiger trout. What the heck???

Tiger trout are a hybrid that comes from crossing browns and brookies. They are "big time" fish eaters and have been introduced in a lot of reservoirs and lakes in Utah to control chubs and other bait fish. The Boulder Mountain area has some world class tiger fisheries. They get big and fight hard. Under the right conditions they can be caught on dries!

Ron

A tiger's strike is vicious, most always on the swing in shallow riffles between pools. Late fall always seemed best,   The Westfield River holds big fish,and is stocked heavy with big fish .A number of guys help spread the fish out using quads. You can fish  this stretch all winter. There are many holes 20 feet deep.

Beautiful fish!  Those tigers are a sight for sure. Why are we messing around with splake?!?

We have tigers in Maine I have caught a few. Anywhere where Browns and brookie live together it’s possible to get some. Nice fish