Maine Fly Fish
Sign in to follow this  
Kevin McKay

How do you organize your fly boxes?

I have a box of nymphs/soft hackles, a box of elk hair caddis, emerging caddis and sparkle puppa etc. a box of drys and a box of streamers. Then there is my box containing all the above.

streamers on one side (mostly woolly buggers, zonkers, clousers), dry flies/nymphs/wets on the other side.  all in one box.  I feel like I use less and less of a variety of flies every year. 

One for nymphs, one for Caddis, one for streamers, one marked Tiny, etc. Yes, some overlap....

45 minutes ago, TightLinesMaine said:

streamers on one side (mostly woolly buggers, zonkers, clousers), dry flies/nymphs/wets on the other side.  all in one box.  I feel like I use less and less of a variety of flies every year. 

I'm close to this as well. No more vest and all the extra stuff and weight. One small hip pack that holds two fly boxes along with tippet and floatant. Less is better, just takes a little planning. 

Ron

Let's see.

One large box of nymphs.  One box with large dries.  One box with small dries.  One box with caddis dries, emergers, and pupa.  One box with small and medium streamers.  Two boxes with big streamers.  One box with 200 midges that's smaller than a deck of cards.  One box with traditional wet flies.  One box with a few dozen Gonzos.  And a couple more with odds & sods.

Clearly, I need more boxes.

In truth, all those boxes (and more) are in a boat bag, which (if I'm walking/wading) stays in the truck.  I'll only take a couple of the boxes to the water depending on where I am, what time of year it is, etc. etc. etc.

18 hours ago, Jumbo John said:

Let's see.

One large box of nymphs.  One box with large dries.  One box with small dries.  One box with caddis dries, emergers, and pupa.  One box with small and medium streamers.  Two boxes with big streamers.  One box with 200 midges that's smaller than a deck of cards.  One box with traditional wet flies.  One box with a few dozen Gonzos.  And a couple more with odds & sods.

Clearly, I need more boxes.

In truth, all those boxes (and more) are in a boat bag, which (if I'm walking/wading) stays in the truck.  I'll only take a couple of the boxes to the water depending on where I am, what time of year it is, etc. etc. etc.

Wow JJ, for a minute I thought you were gonna list a pack horse to tote all those fly boxes!!!

Ron

I have three boxes. A large one for flies over six inches long. A box for medium sized flies (3-6 inches long), and a box for crab flies and small clousers.

Caddis box - all types nymphs, wet, dry, emergers etc

mayfly box- all types nymphs, wet, dry, emergers. A dozen or so midges in corner

streamer box- streamers, buggers and a small selection of stones

i find it an easy system to organize and easy to get to what I think I need quickly

19 hours ago, SLC Ron said:

Wow JJ, for a minute I thought you were gonna list a pack horse to tote all those fly boxes!!!

Ron

So true!  The boat bag is the best thing ever.  This way, all those boxes are available in the truck, but I don't need to tote more than a couple of small boxes to the water depending on how/what I think I'll fish with.  The nymph box almost always comes with me...the rest, well, it depends.  And many of the boxes are small, light, foam boxes...for example, the wet fly box is just a bit bigger than a deck of cards, yet it holds probably 40 or so traditional wet flies...more than enough.