Maine Fly Fish
Sign in to follow this  
searsportshuffle

Sparkle pupa and sparkle emerger

I'm wondering how you folks do with this style of fly and if you do well what colors work best.  I have ok luck with the emerger but less with the pupa.  I have a tough time tying them but getting set to start tying for next season after Christmas and getting my list together 

my tying style attempts to be like Gary Lafontaine's sparkle pupa. I mainly us a light tan body with a dark brown head.  I tie another fly that I call an emerger that is very simple but has worked really well for me. Again most of them are tan body with a dark brown head and some dark turkey feathers coming out both sides. These "wings" are very short. I do tie some that are light green body with a dark green head.

I was fishing in Maine this past fall and was not catching much. One evening there were fish rising and there were caddis in the air. I tried about everything then went to my "caddis emerger (described above) in tan and #18 in size as a dropper.  I made a cast and a salmon came out of the water. Cast again and I caught a salmon and then another. The biggest was about 15-17 inches. 

Hope this is of some help

Two killer patterns, they both do well for me. I tie them in Chartreuse, Olive, and Tan, and they produce in that order.

You weight the pupa style?  The emerger I have tried a few times but once I lost them I found the X caddis quicker to tie. But reading LaFontaine he says the air bubble is the key to it's effectiveness 

15 hours ago, searsportshuffle said:

You weight the pupa style?  The emerger I have tried a few times but once I lost them I found the X caddis quicker to tie. But reading LaFontaine he says the air bubble is the key to it's effectiveness 

Yes, heavy. The length of the shank.

I used to tie these in many sizes and color combo's when I was fishing the rivers many years ago.. They are really good patterns.  I love bright green. yellow., cream  with various dubbing colors underneath..I'm sure people are doing it now , I used to use glass beads on the shank, however I'm not sure it has any effect on fish counts..I've caught some fish on the ponds with them  but the counts were average..Favorites are bright green shell, bright yellow shell, tan shell, and flourescent pink shell...always liked a splash of red in them also..

Hands down the two most productive flies I use. I tie my pupae with a bead head and fish it behind a larger fly most of the time. I used a different version of emerged. I use the Travis glass bead emerger. Usually fish it behind a Nancy's Prayer or EZ Caddis. 

Great flies, you do need to tie them small enough though. Also need to have the right bugs in the drift for them to work. Caddis are very common in Maine, so they are usually around.