Maine Fly Fish
DirigoAngler

Where to go?

I'm planning my spring/early summer fishing trip. I was looking at places out west or in Canada, and then realized, I haven't really explored Maine enough. I wanted to ask this community, where do you consider a must-explore area for trout? I'm considering Rangeley, obviously, but was hoping folks could provide some others to consider. Are there lodges or guides you love? 

For some context, I'm looking at spending 4-6 days. I'm not opposed to spending time on lakes and ponds, but my real passion is fly fishing in streams and rivers. I'd rather have my tourism money stay in state, so any hints are much welcome!

I would highly recommend the Greenville area for your vacation. From there you have access to a couple of nice rivers where you can fish for brookies and landlocked salmon. Two of those are fly fishing only. You can also try your luck for lakers on the Moosehead lake.

In Greenville there's a really cool fly shop called Maine Guide fly shop. They offer guided trips to the nearby rivers.

I think Kevin Mckay also guide in the area you can check with him.

The Debouille mountain area is awesome for exploring and catching nice fish. Not as much river action in that area but beautiful 

Do the Moosehead loop. Start in Brassua on the . Move next to the ****. Then on to the ****. Next the three Penobscots (west,south and north branches). That'll take you 4 to 6 days easy. All classic brrok trout and l.l. salmon waters. Bring lots of caddis dries and smelt imitations.

*****,**** ,****

Why are river names not showing ?  Kinda hard to help anybody out !

I highly recommend me;)

depends if you want crowds or not Rangeley has amazing fish but is very crowded 

moosehead has bigger water and you can get away from crowds 

west branch is big and you can get away from people 

6 hours ago, Kevin McKay said:

I highly recommend me;)

depends if you want crowds or not Rangeley has amazing fish but is very crowded 

moosehead has bigger water and you can get away from crowds 

west branch is big and you can get away from people 

Kevin, I would love to have you as a guide. I'll follow up via PM to figure out details.

Depends if you like rivers, brooks or ponds best. Tough to beat Rangeley area. Moosehead has some awesome ponds and great rivers. Aroostook County has some real brook trout factory brooks, and some very good rivers. Grand Lake Stream is amazing salmon fishing spring and fall.   We do live in a great state for fly fishing :) 

Not going to deviate much from Kevin and Water Rat's ideas...

Tons of water over in the Rangeley area and then there is water plus main roads for drive options...on Moosehead's western shore.   Both areas with nice lodging.   Let's hope we have nice healthy spring water levels/temps for 2018...think we should see some healthy fish in 2018 and forward.  I'd be willing to bet that we & our trout populations have been paying a bit for the previous years of semi/full drought, in some locales.....y/n?

$.01,

Steve