Maine Fly Fish
Alan

How many have stuck with it?

The two handed forum has been more than quiet.  It seems to have died.  

I wonder how many people still have an interest in this form of casting and those who have tried, stuck with it?

Is this just an old mans interest because of our aging bodies or something of  interest to everyone?

Thoughts?  

You will see me in the spring Alan I still have the itch. Really want to learn the Spey casts a bit too. I enjoy using the two hander for sure though and will stick with it. Trying to get Brosa to try it out but my rod breaking might have him a bit scared...... lol

all in fun will see you around

I largely retired my single hand rods in 2008. I cast with one hand probably a half dozen days a year now, almost exclusively in the salt from a boat.  Since I started, I have only seen one other angler with a two hander on a Maine river (a guy I've known for years who spends most of his summer on the Miramichi).  I stuck with it through the awkward couldn't cast worth crap stage because it was an interesting challenge and, like anything else, got more fun as I got better at it.  Still have a long ways to go and lots to learn.  

There doesn't seem to be a "critical mass" (several dozen?) of Skagit, Scandi, or traditional Spey style casters here, but there are a few of us who lug the long poles around.  Why is that?  Many reasons, probably.  I think largely it's because most Maine fly flingers are trout and landlocked salmon-centric, and slack line strategies are effective and traditional, and so they have been culturally dominant in that arena for at least a couple of generations.  Nymphs, dries, and emergers rule for the most part, and streamers can be fished well enough with the single hander in most situations.  Few (if any?) people fish old-fashioned wet flies down and across, which is what the two hander and the various styles of casting lumped under the "Spey" umbrella were really made for.  We also don't have a lot of medium to large sized rivers featuring those long pools, runs, and riffles where the extra long rods excel. Our trout water is largely pocket water, and much of it is relatively small - not especially well suited to rods of 12+ feet.  I don't bring my two handers when I go to GLS or the Rangeley area.  I also think it's something of a numbers game.  Swinging wets, streamers, or wakers with the two hander means you are looking for reasonably aggressive "players" - fish that will move to intercept a fly moving against the current.  On average, more fish, and especially trout and landlocks, will be more easily enticed by a fly dead drifting with the current into their dining room. 

That said, we have some really excellent, highly underutilized big to medium  smallmouth bass rivers that are perfect for two handed casting and extra-long rods.  But, smallmouths don't have adipose fins or spots, so they are beneath the the dignity of most local anglers.  Keeps the rivers uncrowded for those of us who are a bit more crass, though. ;-)

It depends on the situation - species, conditions, water type.  I fish a lot with my father who is a dedicated single hander.  There are the odd days when I put more fish in the net than he does, but mostly it goes the other way.

Thank you for your replies.  

Those that did respond seem to be the ones I expected. 

I also noticed the number that have read this post.  My question to them, is your interest solely curiosity or something you would like to try and for one reason or another don't feel right now is your time? 

Kevin

In answer to your question about favorite forms of fishing the two hander.  I defer to Aldo's perspective.  That being said I guess swinging wets and streamers are at the top of my list on larger rivers followed by dry flies early in the morning in riffles and runs.  The trout in particular seem more inclined to rise quickly to a fast moving dry in these riffles and runs than the slow moving or still waters in the same body of water.  The bite or flight reflex does appear to work quite well under these conditions.  

I'm not so much a purist to fish just for trout and salmon.  A smallmouth bass in the fast moving water of a river is wonderful. The fight they give is unlike any other fish pound for pound.  Their never give up attitude is something to behold.  

Any fish that bites my fly gets the same treatment, thank you for stopping by followed by a quick release!

Spey is the way...isn't it?     I find it to be a very efficient tool for various aspects of fly fishing and a captivating method of casting.  Like Aldo, when I'm out fishing on my own time the two hander is my stick of choice for the great majority of time.   One - because its a blast & I just plain old like it and Two - the more I use it the more I find ways to apply it in most every aspect of fly fishing... Stripping streamers, swinging wets, nymphing and dead drifting dries.   IMHO the spey cast is a superior tool for streamer fishing especially with the short skagit heads like the Rio Trout Max, Wulff Ambush Short, OPST Commando, etc.  These lines will cast a good distance and give plenty of stripping time.  All done with very little space behind a person...brush, rocks, trees, high banks, etc. 

As far as catching more fish - some days yes, some days no.  It's like anything else, its a choice of a style of fishing and the more you use it the more confidence it builds which brings more success.   I find Spey fishing to be a very unique and satisfying method and always looking for ways to introduce it to others whether fishing for trout, steelhead, salmon or smallies, its all good!

• Like 1

I've become increasingly enamored with this style of casting/fishing. The thing is, I don't usually do it with the two-hander. Since discovering the ultra-short skagit heads that allow skagit casting with a single-hander, that's how I've been fishing more and more. Same casts, same flies (wets and streamers), just on a shorter rod because of the reasons Aldo listed. These short heads on a regular single-hand rod can actually fish larger pocket water fairly well, and are perfect for the smaller rivers we have here. Coneheads and heavy mow tips let you get the fly into the feeding zone in a short period of time, and in the right conditions, there are usually a few fish that are more than happy to play. I'm finding that I'd rather get one or two fish a day on the swing then 10 nymphing-the cast and the take are just so much more fun. I do break out two-handers for smallmouth over the summer, on the larger trout rivers and in certain conditions in the salt, and love it, and would undoubtedly do it more if I had access to more appropriate waters, but that's just not what we've got here. Definitely turning into a spey junkie-just not a traditional one!

Sutefoot

Thanks for the reply. I really enjoyed your story! 

You obviously have the bug and at some point you will find yourself using the two hand nearly exclusively as Aldo states.

In my formative transition (like Aldo couldn't cast well at all) with the two hand rod.

At that point I did kind of like you.I took the casting techniques of Spey and started experimenting with the weight forward lines using the lines I had available with my single hand rod ( We didn't have the lines you refer to in your story). Even though these lines were not engineered  for Spey techniques, I started using the casts taught to me by the two handed folks and found that casting situations that were impossible with single hand traditional cast was not only possible, but very desirable using the two handed techniques. 

For those that never used a two handed rod.  Your bottom hand on a two handed rod is your line hand on a single hand rod while double hauling. If you are good at double hauling then you know the line speed that line hand can generate. The same is true with a two hand rod with that bottom hand but easier and lots more fun!

Sutefoot

My prediction is that you will definitely become the Spey Junkie of which you speak.  

Alan,

Be on the lookout for the next issue of "Swing the Fly" magazine,  2018 Volume 1.  I think this is available at Eldredge Brothers Fly Shop.  Article on swinging for Landlocks here in Maine.

Tim

9 hours ago, tfshaw said:

Alan,

Be on the lookout for the next issue of "Swing the Fly" magazine,  2018 Volume 1.  I think this is available at Eldredge Brothers Fly Shop.  Article on swinging for Landlocks here in Maine.

Tim

Thanks Tim

I will.

It appears that this may be your first post.  If so welcome....heck welcome anyhow!

PS  Is this the same Tim I first  met at Ferry Beach in Scarborough a number of years ago?

43 minutes ago, squish said:

I'm 100% two hands.

And to be honest, I never knew this forum existed here until a minute ago. 

Squish

Yes it has been here for quite  sometime.  

tfshaw

I read your article and it was great!  Your photos, including the one you provided in this post are wonderful!  

Squish you the guy from Boston? With the coolest Spey reel I have ever seen? If so I forgot the name of it I still wanted to get one 

On 3/27/2018 at 6:46 AM, theflyguy said:

Squish you the guy from Boston? With the coolest Spey reel I have ever seen? If so I forgot the name of it I still wanted to get one 

Yes...from Boston!

Danielsson Contol.....overkill for stripers but feels really good just the same.

Keep your eye on their site....prices go up and down depending on currency conversion. Make sure you check prices 'excluding VAT'.