Maine Fly Fish
Sign in to follow this  
Flynoob

Atlantic salmon in puget sound

I'm not sure how to link the article? I was just wondering how this will play out or whether it's illegal to keep an endangered species even tho they are farmed fish? I'm also wondering how they will effect the native species? Could an Atlantic salmon population survive in the pacific? Fisherman have caught them recently which means they are there. The farming company said they would all die because they wouldn't feed. I thought that was kinda ridiculous. 

I wonder if they were from either Norwegian or some European farm chain.  Read a couple articles regarding similar victims....earlier in 17' by a BC woman tracking a disease from European farm raised salmon...Atlantics?, but it involved them introducing a disease affecting salmon(Sockeye especially) and their migratory runs, could include Steelhead too..y/n?  Was interesting in the article documenting how her battle with the Canadian Gov't, who has been(according to her) aggressively "influencing"(PC terminology) biologists to ignore certain statistics.  Will try to find it....

The Washington state legislature is concerned enough about this that they recently put a moratorium on further licensing of Atlantic salmon fish farms, and they either did not renew or revoked the license of the firm from whose pens those Atlantics recently escaped.  Wild steelhead numbers are extremely depressed in Puget Sound rivers, and local anglers are p---ed off to say the least.  If we can extrapolate to this situation what is happening with Pacific salmon in Scotland's Atlantic salmon rivers (loads of documented spawning), this doesn't bode well for the already stressed wild steelhead population.  Generally speaking, when a predatory species that didn't evolve in a particular ecosystem is introduced, there are going to be some indigenous species that suffer.  Perhaps this is an exception, but I'm not counting on it.

Some bad news. Salmon farms are really pretty awful. I was in Scotland last summer and you saw them all over the place. I fished with a guide for a day (not for salmon) who said that he's seen the fishing quality on his stretch of a salmon river decline a lot since the pens went in. He also says he catches escapees every year, even though the companies that own the pens say they didn't have any fish escape in several different years. I'm love to eat salmon, but I never buy Atlantic salmon, wether it's wild caught or farmed. Too much damage no matter where it's grown. I'll only get wild-caught Alaskan, one of the true sustainably managed fisheries out there. Hopefully this is a wakeup call.