Jump to content
Maine Fly Fish
Sign in to follow this  
StrippinStreamahs

Squid

Recommended Posts

Last season while fishing off a beach at high noon in July, I had a fairly large squid that would follow my fly for a ways, so I tried to catch it so I could attempt to mimic it on the vise.  I was thinking about it the other day and realized I really don't know a ton about squid and their patterns/timing of the year/etc.  I see some squid patterns circulating now and then, but never really see many people fishing them. I had heard that last year we had a good amount around. Anyone on here fish a squid pattern with any success? Time of the year, conditions, etc?  I attempted a larger squid pattern today using the big game shanks.  One thing I noticed about the body of the squid that I caught was that it was very translucent, so I made a sparse synthetic brush to wrap the shank in hopes that it might look a little more realistic/see through.  This was a fun one to tie, hopefully itll work.  Maybe try to make a slightly thicker/longer brush to add some more bulk, and larger eyes.  Any thoughts on how to improve this fly would be welcome!

Squid.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks good, tons of squid patterns out there to choose from.  That was you interested in fishing more at night too right?  Squid are definitely a good night bait. It's easy enough to imitate profile and colors of squid, but they move in bizarre ways which can be tricky, and they change colors fast as you can blink too! Squid are one of the coolest critters out there, delicious too. Squid will gladly eat a crab fly haha.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, StrippinStreamahs said:

Last season while fishing off a beach at high noon in July, I had a fairly large squid that would follow my fly for a ways, so I tried to catch it so I could attempt to mimic it on the vise.  I was thinking about it the other day and realized I really don't know a ton about squid and their patterns/timing of the year/etc.  I see some squid patterns circulating now and then, but never really see many people fishing them. I had heard that last year we had a good amount around. Anyone on here fish a squid pattern with any success? Time of the year, conditions, etc?  I attempted a larger squid pattern today using the big game shanks.  One thing I noticed about the body of the squid that I caught was that it was very translucent, so I made a sparse synthetic brush to wrap the shank in hopes that it might look a little more realistic/see through.  This was a fun one to tie, hopefully itll work.  Maybe try to make a slightly thicker/longer brush to add some more bulk, and larger eyes.  Any thoughts on how to improve this fly would be welcome!

Squid.jpg

This is very similar to the "Tidewater Squid" pattern I tie and use, and it's a killer!  Longfin squid are......long, so don't be afraid to tie them up over 12" and keep the tentacles short as you did with this one (about 1/3 the body).   Check saltwaterflies dot com for recipe if interested.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, James Browne said:

Looks good, tons of squid patterns out there to choose from.  That was you interested in fishing more at night too right?  Squid are definitely a good night bait. It's easy enough to imitate profile and colors of squid, but they move in bizarre ways which can be tricky, and they change colors fast as you can blink too! Squid are one of the coolest critters out there, delicious too. Squid will gladly eat a crab fly haha.

Yep that was me asking about the night fishing.  I know people will spin fish with squid at night as bait, I tried last year with some other squid patterns to no avail. I have seen squid in the bucket and you're definitely right with the color change, they are so damn cool!

 

Squish I tried searching that site and could not seem to find a pattern that was named "tidewater Squid", do you have any picture by chance? This fly ended up being about 7" long, is the tidewater pattern a large fly like you were talking about?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

http://www.saltwaterflies.com/flymuseum_tidewatersquid.html

The Tidewater Squid is about the size you've tied.  I've tied them up to 12" or so, but the longfin squid itself averages about 10" long and up to 20" is not uncommon.

Cape Cod gets loaded with these things in May but find their way to Maine June-July.

Night fishing is the way to go but fish deep during the day.  They are attracted to light so if you can get on the water at night near bright lights all the better (think well lit piers), but not an absolute must.  I've done well with squid patterns during first light.

Squish

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Excellent tie. I've had decent luck with squid patterns fished pre-dawn. I found that a two to three foot strip with a one second pause worked good for the retrieve.

Another name for Striped Bass is Squidhound.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm glad I'm not the only thinking about squid recently! I got thinking about them last week and tied up a few, using some not great glow-in-the-dark flash too. They have an almost indescribable, subtle iridescence that is pretty amazing to see when they are alive. I'm always fascinated when I get the chance to see them while jigging for them in shallow water--you see them almost as a mirage on the bottom and that slightly glows and you have a hard time telling if they are what you think they are until one shoots out from the school and strikes. Super fun to fish for and I'm hoping effective to fish with! Last summer I saw a few on the Foreside, but nothing like in 2016. Hopefully they'll be back around in next year....

IMG_3404.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, buoy said:

I'm glad I'm not the only thinking about squid recently! I got thinking about them last week and tied up a few, using some not great glow-in-the-dark flash too. They have an almost indescribable, subtle iridescence that is pretty amazing to see when they are alive. I'm always fascinated when I get the chance to see them while jigging for them in shallow water--you see them almost as a mirage on the bottom and that slightly glows and you have a hard time telling if they are what you think they are until one shoots out from the school and strikes. Super fun to fish for and I'm hoping effective to fish with! Last summer I saw a few on the Foreside, but nothing like in 2016. Hopefully they'll be back around in next year....

IMG_3404.JPG

Really nice!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×