Maine Fly Fish
Sign in to follow this  
Kevin McKay

line control?

Need to clarify please.

I use a strip basket. Small enough to bring with and easy enough to take off and on. Makes life a lot easier. In a canoe, kayak, boat. Pretty any vessel, I find a stripping basket makes life easier. 

Stow as much gear and miscellaneous crap in out of the way places and keep as clean a deck as possible.  Even with three anglers in an open 14' aluminum boat, it's amazing what you can do with some strategic packing.

I use a homemade basket made from a dish tub, belt and zip ties when wading. Total cost for that was about seven dollars.  I really like the idea of the mat for use in a boat though. I think that would really help keep things organized. 

9 hours ago, Kevin McKay said:

...kind of looks like some sort of North Korean torture test...y/n?  Isn't the objective to get something that wouldn't divert one's attention from your fly...?

I try my best to strip all my line into one little pile between my feet in the boat, most of the time it works, other times.... it’s wrapped around my other rods, the seat supports, under my foot or tangled around my legs. 

Aldo makes great points . I don't know how many times I've been attempting to shoot line and had the line catch on a paddle handle or some other obstruction. Now I store all gear I can and strip line in around my feet and cast as needed. I have had line catch on my laces from time to time.  Sometimes I strip it in and let it lie in the water beside the canoe (providing I don't have a fish on)  other areas to watch for line catching is your vest or pfd.   I should work on better line control , someday it may cost me a monster

That would've made life a little easier, back in the day, for me in my solo canoe Kevin.  SS you're right....Aldo nailed it...to begin with.  It was always the extra stuff that complicated things, especially in the canoe...