Maine Fly Fish
Sign in to follow this  
LaBonte207

7 wt rod and reel suggestions?

I'm in the market for a new 7 wt rod and reel. I've been looking at the behemoth for a reel, but am lost for the rod. Anyone have any experience out there? Would primarily be throwing large streamers for pike and maybe schoolies, but primarily pike and bass in weedy areas. Thanks for any input, I just can't find any good info on 7 wts.

GL

Hatch 5 plus mid arbor with a Scott Flex or Tidal both under $500

I don't have a flex but was checking it out at Jersey show and it feels like it has some backbone

I would go to Eldredge Expo or Bears Dens show coming up next weekend and cast some 7 weights with the same line on all the rods you throw

I have a 7 wt, 10' Sage Z-Axis that I like a lot. I use it mostly for stripers, though I have used it for bass in FL.

It's newer brother would be the Sage ONE 7 wt 10'. There's one of those available for $400 here: https://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fishing-rods-and-outfits-classifieds/540894-f-s-sage-one-txl-f.html

I own a behemoth it's a great reel for the price. Can't beat the drag you get for 100 bucks. It's a touch heavier because it's cast. I paired it with a 9'6" fenwick aetos 8 wt I've only fished it twice but it wasn't a bad set up for as cheap as it was 

Lots of good options out there, but one thing I'd advise you not to do is this:  try out a Scott Meridian.  Everything else might be a disappointment afterward...:lol:

In all seriousness, I can't believe how accurate that rod is...I will admit that I've not yet tried it in a 7 weight though.

I'd agree with Kevin and give the Tidal a run...I like that rod a lot too.

For schoolies and pike you won't need much drag. It's tempting to (over)spend big bucks on a fully machined reel with a space age drag, but not necessary. $200 can get you more than enough reel, especially if you go used.  Lee Wulff caught a crap ton of big Atlantic salmon with a 6.5 foot fiberglass rod and a Pfleuger Medalist reel.

Thanks for all the help guys, I will certainly be checking these options out. 

One more suggestion, Okuma Sierra. The first one I purchased was a 10-11 to go onto my Orvis in the Salt. The drag control knob is small but VERY effective. I was really impressed. It’s affordable, I have beat the snot out of them and they still perform. It is now the only reel I own for both fresh and salt. Spare spools are very cheap too. Amazon is the best deal you will find.

Regardless of the manufacturer, i'd go with a fast action 7 wgt.for it's ability to take shooting lines for heavin' big bass flies.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, tridentfly said:

My first question would be: do you have a heavier rod? Throwing big pike flies with a 7wt would be a lot of work...

i thought the same thing, I use a 10 weight Tidal or Scott pike/ Musky rod