Maine Fly Fish
Sign in to follow this  
Mainiac

Winter tying.

Winter is when I get 98% of the flies I need for the upcoming season tied. I like this as I have plenty of time to become creative after tying my mandatory fifty crab flies. This is the time I use to come up with new or different patterns and get to play at the vise.:)

This also relieves any desperation tying as the season progresses. I hate being rushed at the vice during fishing season. Usually the only tying I do then is if I'm running low on crabs.

When do you do most of your fly tying ?

I do most of mine in late winter... i need a little time pressure to force me to do it.  In the case of this year, it mostly got done early winter, because we're in the process of moving home from France, and all of my tying equipment just got loaded in a container, for 6-8 weeks voyage to Boston, from Le Havre, France. 

As i mentioned in prior posts, i'm a novice saltwater guy, but I've happened upon a property in Harpswell that will give me more time to explore the salt.  So, this winter I filled a plano with While, Black, Olive and Chatruese Clausers, Crabs, Pollock, Herring, Mackeral and Bunker flies.  At least enough to get me started.  Next step will be to sort out my trout/salmon boxes... but that'll have to wait until we're stateside.  

My tying is rather sporadic. My job is very mentally intense and attention to detail is an absolute must. So to come home and tie flies is difficult for me. I do best when I have an up coming trip so there is a lot of motivation to get flies done for the trip. The other motivator is when I have convinced my friends to go on a fishing trip with me (out of State ) since none of them are particularly avid fly fishers and their fly selection is minimal at best, I usually tie some of my favorite flies for them. Kind of a thank you and hope you catch some fish on them.

I have done better this winter getting some flies tied. In fact yesterday I "tried" tying some dry flies. I can never seem to get the wings right or at least to my liking. Too much of a perfectionist I guess. I was grumbling about how the flies came out and my wife asked me if the fish would care? I said I don't know, maybe?

I do get more flies tied in the winter months than the rest of the year.

Auuhhhggg! I gotta get tying !  I am gonna be in trouble if I don't start soon. Usually I'm about done by now. Nothing to new this year mostly tried and true stuff

My tying is sporadic. I will tie for a few days then quit. I never attempt tying my own concoctions. I need the time to tie the flies I use most often.

All winter. Only time I tie in season is if I need a specific fly for a trip or if I lose a certain fly I like, which inevitably will happen at the worst time.