Maine Fly Fish
Sign in to follow this  
Dirck

Drift boat versus Waders

I have found some rules of the road when a drift boat approaches a wade fisherman. Most rules encompass using common sense and logic. I have never had any serious problems with drift boats interfering with my fishing in 12 yrs of wade fishing. I am wondering if any rivers in Maine experience substantial conflicts between Drift boats and waders.

No issues on any of the big rivers in Maine that I fish.

More problems with whitewater rafts than drift boats.

No problems here but out in Montana I have had a few occasions when I wished I had a pocket torpedo.  Usually it is guides too.    Tubers are the worst.

Years ago there was an incident on the Green River. A drift boat guide and a wader got into an altercation over the water the wader was fishing. The boat had anchored right in front of the wader. The wader got so pissed he threatened the guide and started wading out toward the boat, actually got a hand on the side of the boat. The drift boat guide pulled a gun on the wader and ran him off. Wader left and called the cops, they arrested the guide at the pull out. Don't know the outcome.

I have always been curious to know if commercial rafting and the many rafts they float on rivers had any effect on fish behavior or fishing success. I have heard the effects are negligible.

when guiding on wb most companies are very respectful and if there are a lot of boaters in big eddy, I just have my clients stop casting and once the rafters go thru, we start catching fish again. its when they have the whole river and they float right next to me and ask how the fishing is. I think usually it is a new rafting guide.

these guys are great https://northeastwhitewater.com 

https://www.penobscotadventures.com/  literally hit me with their boat when they stopped in front of me and Jax and then told me they own the river, I was pissed

No problem only me being jealous as they anchor in an area I couldn't wade to and it's the best spot in that stretch of water.  Knock on wood I haven't had any issues with others fishing

I did have one particular run in with a drift boat guide on the EO a couple of years ago. This guy decided he would park his boat in the spawning pool for the ENTIRE freakn day. Smack in the middle and then announced he was fishing the entire pool and the rest of us waders could go to hell. Initially I left and went downstream for the morning. Came back upriver in the afternoon and he was still there. I waded in again and again was told I was in his water. Now I'm 50 feet away and casting downstream so little chance I'm in any way messing with his fishing . So we went at each other verbally, I asked him if his anchor was stuck, suggested he use his driftboat to actually drift. I told him my name and asked for his, told him if I was going to call him an a**hole I should at least know his name, he refused. Later talking to Tim at Wilson's and learned he had a crappy reputation of the river, felt he owned it. 

Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty and the pig likes it.

• Thanks 1

Two years ago I took my step son on a whitewater trip on the WB. We ran with North Country. I was really impressed by what the guides had to say about fisherman.

”we may pass a lot of fisherman today, they have as much right to be on the river as us, but they are here for a different reason. Keep the yelling down, smile and wave”

Having fished the WB many times, it was nice to hear that this company was so respectful.