Maine Fly Fish
Sign in to follow this  
Mainiac

Bottom critters.

Here's a few of my favorite flies to imitate the small creatures found on the sand flats. They are ; a blood worm, a juvenile lobster, a juvenile flounder, a sand shrimp and a green crab. Just putting them out as ideas for the tying season.

enhance

Good stuff!

I've been putting together a pretty big lobster pattern for this season.  Right now it's only on paper and it looks like it could be 5 to 6 inches total length. Could be great or a total bust.   

Would love to see a really good lobster pattern, they say the biggest fish eat lobsters, cant wait to see what you come up with squish! Mal have you had much luck with that one?

Some , but nuthin' spectacular.......................yet .

5 hours ago, Mainiac said:

I'll go with great.:)

Thanks for the vote of confidence! 

1 hour ago, StrippinStreamahs said:

Would love to see a really good lobster pattern, they say the biggest fish eat lobsters, cant wait to see what you come up with squish! Mal have you had much luck with that one?

I'd like to see a really good lobster pattern too!  I'm tired of seeing crayfish and shrimp patterns being pawned off as baby lobsters, and the few, bigger, complicated patterns of worthlessness that nobody gave much thought to.

It's gotta be big, easy to tie, and downright tasty (or at least look tasty), and I'm convinced that Maine is the only place for such a beast.

Why eat crab when you can have lobster? (though I gotta say that crab flies are serious business).

On 2/15/2018 at 6:51 AM, theflyguy said:

James has a pretty good one it’s on the site somewhere 

Thanks Adam! Funny I was just tinkering with the "Snuggle Bug" last weekend.  Didn't put much time into testing it last year (tuna addiction got in the way) but the few times it went out it fished well.

IMG_4609.thumb.JPG.754b3f7df078c6c208a5b6445997a693.JPGIMG_4630.thumb.JPG.e99f81e896c8b40313f1176b3b42a177.JPG

Nice flies Mal. How's baby flounder numbers up your way?  They are piss poor down here, every once in a while I'll find a little pocket of them, definitely a bummer as they make a great bait for the bass. 

Sporadic here also. 

I'm banking on them hitting out of the memory of feeding on them south of here.

Nice tie James! Can we get the recipe for that?

9 hours ago, James Browne said:

Thanks Adam! Funny I was just tinkering with the "Snuggle Bug" last weekend.  Didn't put much time into testing it last year (tuna addiction got in the way) but the few times it went out it fished well.

IMG_4609.thumb.JPG.754b3f7df078c6c208a5b6445997a693.JPGIMG_4630.thumb.JPG.e99f81e896c8b40313f1176b3b42a177.JPG

Sweet!

That is the best lobster fly I've seen James. Nice work!  B)

James is that furry foam on the body? I tried to use that stuff on crabs last year and they came out looking fantastic, but I found that the foam just really didnt hold up at all, started to break apart within the first 10 casts/couple fish.  Not worth it to tie a fly that lasts such a short time in my eyes. I tried using epoxy to coat it in hopes of adding strength, but that just seemed to make it worse.  How was the durability of that when you tried it out?

56 minutes ago, StrippinStreamahs said:

James is that furry foam on the body? I tried to use that stuff on crabs last year and they came out looking fantastic, but I found that the foam just really didnt hold up at all, started to break apart within the first 10 casts/couple fish.  Not worth it to tie a fly that lasts such a short time in my eyes. I tried using epoxy to coat it in hopes of adding strength, but that just seemed to make it worse.  How was the durability of that when you tried it out?

Yes it's furry foam, but it's the adhesive back version which is more durable than the original. It's coated as well and it's very durable. Again, didn't do a ton of testing with the lobster (maybe 10hrs, 60-70 fish), but the crab pot 3.0 has been fished plenty over a couple seasons with same construction and is wicked durable. Both the lobster and crab sit naturally at a 45 in fighting position but lay flat while being stripped.

IMG_4419.thumb.JPG.828530721e0e17d309932d98f053beef.JPG