Maine Fly Fish
Sign in to follow this  
nate orr

Moths

They attacked my hackle and fur. They destroyed 1, #1 Metz cape, and 2 # 2 Metz saddles. Plus a bunch of hair. I've got it all quarantined right now. I've separated and bagged the rest of my hackle and hair, but not quite sure what to do next. I really don't want all of my flies smelling like mothballs, but I have 10 more Metz #1 and#2 capes that I am worried about. Any ideas? 

This happened over a 3/4 month period. I haven't tied since early December. If I didn't sit down to tie for another month, I'm sure it would have been much worse.

Don't really want my flies smelling of mothballs

Using a plastic bag or container freeze feathers for a few days, then remove from freezer for a day..

Repeat for two more cycles.

I'll try that ebud.

The amount of damage they did in 3 months was shocking.

Nate

Did you try it?

Yes. So far so good. But I'm now storing any natural fiber in it's own zip-loc bag. Thanks for the advice.

Nate if you know anyone in the restaurant business ask them to save you a few plastic containers that the seafood comes in. I use to get them for nothing, but now the wholesaler gets a $2 deposit on them. I just give my friend (restaurant owner) the $2 . They are cheaper than the ones you get at Walmart and much better quality. 

1 hour ago, Igloo lake said:

Nate if you know anyone in the restaurant business ask them to save you a few plastic containers that the seafood comes in. I use to get them for nothing, but now the wholesaler gets a $2 deposit on them. I just give my friend (restaurant owner) the $2 . They are cheaper than the ones you get at Walmart and much better quality. 

I have about 10 of these if anyone wants them.  I don't use them.