Maine Fly Fish
Sign in to follow this  
Kevin McKay

DIY

I have seen this before...... this should get interesting 

Had to happen eventually.

Well, on spot check of a favorite sacred place tells me that these directions are highly unreliable. Compounded with the fact that google maps is required where there isn’t a cell signal (for now) may help. 

It appears to be using an older version of the state's "Heritage Ponds" list, plus a link to the USGS gages.  It's not up-to-date.  As "hot-spotting" goes, this is nowhere near the level of detail that was in Al Raychard's book "Remote Trout Ponds in Maine", which came out when I was in high school.  Dad and I fished out of that book for years without ever running into crowds.  And it covered about 75 Maine ponds that really were some of the best of the best. This app gives information on hundreds.

FWIW, the information in Raychard's was a lot more detailed and accurate, and stands up pretty well, but you sure can't use the access instructions 35 years later.

Finally, except for the West Branch, the Rapid, and the Nezinscot, river and stream fishermen can relax, as can striper, bass, and lake trout anglers.

I'm planning a Yellowstone vacation for fall, and between local fly shops, several good guidebooks, and what I can find on the internet, I can get hatch charts, hiking trail maps, and driving directions to the access sites calibrated down to the tenth of a mile.  The fishing out there is holding up just fine.  Like here, there are no secrets by the road side, but if you are willing to walk a half mile you can probably have some water to yourself.

• Like 1

On 4/2/2018 at 7:02 PM, Jeff Reardon said:

Al Raychard's book "Remote Trout Ponds in Maine", which came out when I was in high school.

Amen, Brother.  That book was my bible when I was just learning...so many good spots.  FWIW..  Lou Zambello's recent  book on Flyfishing New England  is a gold mine for anyone looking to hit the famous and not so famous waters.