Jump to content
Maine Fly Fish
Sign in to follow this  
Kevin McKay

Drones?

Recommended Posts

The last thing I want buzzing overhead while I'm trying to enjoy a day on the river.  But that's just me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Aldo said:

The last thing I want buzzing overhead while I'm trying to enjoy a day on the river.  But that's just me.

+1

Ron

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please don't fly it near me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

+2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have seen and heard them on the East Outlet of the Kennebec. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You incorporating with your fishing? Videos for clients? I think for flat fishing they have proven helpful but I don't see a purpose around here. May even put fish down like an osprey overhead.  

It would be annoying to have one buzzing around while trying to fish and relax

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you bring it to the WB in June I am bringing a shotgun.

Just sayin'.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A good buddy of mine found here: http://galleries.aaronpriestphoto.com/

has taken some awesome footage of my 2 properties in northern Maine.  I believe he's just doing it for fun currently, but perhaps at some point will be doing it commercially as well.  Many folks have such negative connotations of drones (and I can understand why), but it really is incredible what you can do with them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Aldo said:

The last thing I want buzzing overhead while I'm trying to enjoy a day on the river.  But that's just me.

+1  again.....although agree R-Factor, I do like what they can do to display a property.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes I will be bringing it on every fishing trip especially on the west branch where I can buzz as many people :blink::rolleyes:

i will also be hovering right over fishermen while they tie on flies to see what they are using 

i also will use it down striper fishing so I can spot stripers and spot burn the whole southern area:unsure::rolleyes:

:D:D:D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sounds like a well thought out plan.:o:lol::lol::lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Kevin McKay said:

Yes I will be bringing it on every fishing trip especially on the west branch where I can buzz as many people :blink::rolleyes:

i will also be hovering right over fishermen while they tie on flies to see what they are using 

i also will use it down striper fishing so I can spot stripers and spot burn the whole southern area:unsure::rolleyes:

:D:D:D

Sounds like "cabin fever" has advanced to "Cabin Madness". Seriously, I have seen some great footage shot with the drones. Just hope that folks don't infringe on the rights of others. We all know that Kevin will act with restraint. 

Ron

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ron I think your right about Cabin Madness, I think I may have a touch of it too!!!

I think drones would be fun to fly. I too have seen some great footage from them. But as with many other modern technology inventions they can be used for good or evil. All depends who's using it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, arrowflinger said:

Ron I think your right about Cabin Madness, I think I may have a touch of it too!!!

I think drones would be fun to fly. I too have seen some great footage from them. But as with many other modern technology inventions they can be used for good or evil. All depends who's using it.

Rip, Got started on your rod. I should have it to you in a couple of weeks, depending on my work load. 

Ron

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

B):D

THANKS, Ron!!! With the way it's snow right now it maybe July until I can use it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, I have a drone; a DJI Mavic Pro. It's pretty darn cool... but the absolute last thing I (or the overwhelming majority of other pilots) want to do with them is bother other people.
I haven't used mine for fishing purposes at all, but they'd work for reading water. However, unless the fish are gigantic (and I suppose sometimes they are) I don't really see a huge advantage over google maps.
Also, the overwhelming majority of "off-the-shelf" drones that are available to the general public, are just about useless for spying on individual people; the lenses are simply too wide. For example, you'd probably have to be within 10 feet of someone to even have a remote chance of seeing someone's fly (and even then you'd pretty much have to wait until you got home in order to get a good look at it). Off-the-shelf drones are optimized for landscape photography and videography, people who use them mostly just want to see and share cool footage from a unique vantage point. They allow the average Joe to capture footage that used to require renting out a helicopter.

Also, to those who talk about shooting down drones with their shotguns. First, you're not likely to have a drone in shotgun range... and second, Federal law treats shooting down a drone exactly the same as shooting down a plane or a helicopter. If you want to do time in a federal penitentiary (and forever lose your right to own a shotgun); go ahead and shoot down a drone. 

Likewise, if someone is flying a drone in a way that endangers the public (i.e. not simply annoys you because you can see or hear it), you should call the FAA as well. Drone pilots are not supposed to a fly a drone in any manner that poses a danger of falling on people, moving vehicles, or poses a danger to manned aircraft or out of a pilot (or spotter's) line of sight. Flying over private property is technically allowed, even when local laws prohibit it (states and municipalities do not have the right to govern airspace), however they can place restrictions on where a drone operator may stand within their jurisdiction.  Drone pilots are required to fly responsibly and if someone is doing otherwise; report them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree with most reasonable on here.  I see the benefit of them, assume they could be fun to operate, however, I do not want anyone operating one by me as I fish.  Unfortunately, I've already had a bad experience while fishing out in a canoe in MA last spring.  That craft was within shotgun distance - I could have hit by doubling the length of my rod.  It was quite a turnoff being out in early spring, enjoying the peace of nature and have this thing buzzing overhead.  I also thought about the potential for injury if the control lost range or the drone someone crashed.  It's possible the operator was within sight of it, however, I was unable to see who may have been operating it.  As such, my experience with them has not been the best so far. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/13/2018 at 3:39 PM, Bill Blake said:

Yeah, I have a drone; a DJI Mavic Pro. It's pretty darn cool... but the absolute last thing I (or the overwhelming majority of other pilots) want to do with them is bother other people.
I haven't used mine for fishing purposes at all, but they'd work for reading water. However, unless the fish are gigantic (and I suppose sometimes they are) I don't really see a huge advantage over google maps.
Also, the overwhelming majority of "off-the-shelf" drones that are available to the general public, are just about useless for spying on individual people; the lenses are simply too wide. For example, you'd probably have to be within 10 feet of someone to even have a remote chance of seeing someone's fly (and even then you'd pretty much have to wait until you got home in order to get a good look at it). Off-the-shelf drones are optimized for landscape photography and videography, people who use them mostly just want to see and share cool footage from a unique vantage point. They allow the average Joe to capture footage that used to require renting out a helicopter.

Also, to those who talk about shooting down drones with their shotguns. First, you're not likely to have a drone in shotgun range... and second, Federal law treats shooting down a drone exactly the same as shooting down a plane or a helicopter. If you want to do time in a federal penitentiary (and forever lose your right to own a shotgun); go ahead and shoot down a drone. 

Likewise, if someone is flying a drone in a way that endangers the public (i.e. not simply annoys you because you can see or hear it), you should call the FAA as well. Drone pilots are not supposed to a fly a drone in any manner that poses a danger of falling on people, moving vehicles, or poses a danger to manned aircraft or out of a pilot (or spotter's) line of sight. Flying over private property is technically allowed, even when local laws prohibit it (states and municipalities do not have the right to govern airspace), however they can place restrictions on where a drone operator may stand within their jurisdiction.  Drone pilots are required to fly responsibly and if someone is doing otherwise; report them.

He was willing to go to court for shooting it down and it was in range if a shot gun, that's y he was so mad

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/12/2018 at 5:55 PM, Jumbo John said:

If you bring it to the WB in June I am bringing a shotgun.

Just sayin'.

Easy there Jumbo, we don't want to break any federal laws.  I'll be bringing an axe, that thing has to land sometime...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
sar·casm
ˈsärˌkazəm/
noun
noun: sarcasm; plural noun: sarcasms
  1. the use of irony to mock or convey contempt.
     
    I don't even own a shotgun.  We'll stick with the axe.

 :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great idea Dave but impractical for me. Shotguns are too heavy and bulky to carry along on my fishing excursions. A wrist rocket slingshot and a small bag of ball bearings is easy to carry. Be fun too !:lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/13/2018 at 3:41 PM, caught_the_fever said:

I agree with most reasonable on here.  I see the benefit of them, assume they could be fun to operate, however, I do not want anyone operating one by me as I fish.  Unfortunately, I've already had a bad experience while fishing out in a canoe in MA last spring.  That craft was within shotgun distance - I could have hit by doubling the length of my rod.  It was quite a turnoff being out in early spring, enjoying the peace of nature and have this thing buzzing overhead.  I also thought about the potential for injury if the control lost range or the drone someone crashed.  It's possible the operator was within sight of it, however, I was unable to see who may have been operating it.  As such, my experience with them has not been the best so far. 

Sounds like there's a lot more irresponsibility regarding deones up in New England than down here in Texas. I read your post and my first thought was if it's that close, it might be a good idea to bring a slingshot but Mal beat me to it (I'm not online that much lately). It might still be illegal to shoot it down with a slingshot, but it will likely look a lot better in a courtroom (one could claim they were trying to deter harassment at that point). I guess they're a lot like guns, most of us (particularly those of us who travel) go through a lot of trouble to make sure we're doing everything safely and legally, but a few people are always going to ruin things (or worse) for everyone else.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You guys think having them watch you fish is bad, we had a C-130 hit one a couple weeks back. It's only a matter of time before a drone causes a crash. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×