Maine Fly Fish
Sign in to follow this  
Dirck

Veazie Salmon club

Updated: April 6, 2018 4:07 pm

Bangor Daily 

The Veazie Salmon Club, which since the 1970s has hosted anglers from around the country as they fished the productive Penobscot River pools below, will cease to exist in the coming months, according to a longtime member.

Hard to have a club for something you can’t legally fish for

1 hour ago, Seamonkey84 said:

Hard to have a club for something you can’t legally fish for

...and most probably isn't even there in the first place....

I wonder where all the memorabilia that the club had acquired over the years will end up. 

41 minutes ago, Dirck said:

I wonder where all the memorabilia that the club had acquired over the years will end up. 

Here is the email that Gayland Hachey sent out a week ago or so:

To anyone that is a Veazie Salmon Club Member we have shut down all of the utilities to the club and Claude Westfall is taking all of the club pictures and memorabilia down to the Atlantic Salmon Museum. This is all do to the lack of members and funding when the funds run out this fall we will have to let the club go to the town for back taxes..Gayland Hachey

Sad and shameful.  Another chapter in the long saga of our collective destruction of the Atlantic salmon in US waters.  I hope we've learned something.

I think the one in brewer has been turn I to a museum, maybe they should take parts of the three and make one into a museum

This is disappointing, probably inevitable, but disappointing nonetheless.  When Bush 1 was President a friend and I took a ride up there during the season to see what all the fuss was about. I remember watching people wait their turn in the rod rack and being amazed at the casting ability of some of the guys.  I was just learning at the time so I was like a sponge to all things fly fishing.  I found a fly on the ground and I asked an older gentleman if he knew the name of it....He said, " that there is a Copper Killer, that's a decent fly." It's been in my streamer box ever since.  I've never fished it because I've always been afraid to lose it.

It really sucks. I was fortunate enough to fish for Atlantic salmon in Maine in my youth. Shameful doesn't cut it when describing the atrocity of the willful destruction of Maines' Atlantic salmon fishery. Thanks PAPER INDUSTRY for that. Greedy ,short sighted inbred morons ! :angry: