Maine Fly Fish
Sign in to follow this  
nympho

Hatch Finatic

Last summer while fishing the salt I hooked probably the biggest bass(could've been a shark I guess too) that I ever will again. All I could do was clamp down the drag on my 7 plus and hang on. I was eventually broken off but during the fight the fish gave me an initial run where I was able to get in a couple turns on the reel before it tore off again. On the second run I noticed the drag had loosened a bit as the spool was really ripping now so I clamped the drag down again. Almost a half turn. I figured that I'd rubbed the knob by accident during the first run and dismissed reel issues as a culprit. Then I heard that Hatch had released a Gen 2 Finatic to solve some saltwater corrosion issues they were having with the Gen 1's. Hmmn, it clicked. I recently sent my Finatic and its 3 spools back to Hatch for an upgrade. The day they received them I got a phone call from Stacy at Hatch explaining they would cover the drag components under warranty but dinged me on the handle replacements on the spools for $40 each which I was OK with as there was really nothing wrong with them other than they get a little sticky after not being used for a while(even after a thorough rinse). A week to Cali, a week in their hands, and a week back to Maine. Not bad for $160, shipped both ways, to essentially get a brand new reel. Never had to deal with Hatch customer service but I'm happy with this experience. Anyone with a Gen 1 Finatic that fishes the salt and hasn't done this yet, send 'er back! You'll be glad you did.

This is the kind of service you can expect from Hatch day in and day out- and is a major reason I just ordered another one a while back (custom color).  They offer fast, friendly, and very reasonable service consistently.

Can you say Tibor, Abel, Nautilus, Galvan!  Couldn't resist.

Not sure after paying that kind of money that you should be sending back to get the whole drag system replaced.  Then have to pay for handle replacement.

But that's just me.

All the above, Hatch thru Galvan, and include Sage......are beautiful.

Sounds like you enjoyed your experience, which is great and the most important part.

I would think a drag systrm with an issue from the factory wouldn't cost you anything but shipping to replace. They probably charged you $40 per handle to make up for the "free" drag. Those handles cost a couple dollars or so to make, and should be thrown in for minimal cost. This surprised me....won't be a hatch customer I guess. That should've been warranty covered 100%. I'll stick with Hardys and Islanders.

From Hatch website:

Hatch reels are carefully inspected to assure product consistency and quality and are guaranteed against manufacturer’s defects in materials and craftsmanship for the life of the product by its original owner

I don't believe there are many companies out there currently that don't charge a shipping/handling fee for warranty work.  In Nymho's case, he requested upgrades that are part of the Gen II reels in addition to the warranty work completed.  Very reasonable.  Any of you who have sent in rods or reels for service (under warranty) in the last few years realize that some of these shipping/handling fees can run far more than a few dollars...just the way it is.  I have a T&T in for repair right now and I believe it was 55 dollars for processing/shipping/handling whatever...very reasonable.   Sage, Scott, St. Croix, Winston...similar cost.

31 minutes ago, lachance8443 said:

I'll stick with Hardys and Islanders.

I will say that I love the sound of the Islanders when you have a fish running...best music from any reel in my opinion! :D

I'm by no means an independently wealthy individual and work very hard for everything that I own. In my now 40+ years on this planet I've come to discover the phrase,  "you get what you pay for" rings so true, at least in my experience. $160 is a drop in the bucket to maintain a reel that has served me quite well for 5-6 years now heavily fishing the salt waters of Maine.

I think I own 9 reels 3 plus to 7 plus and like I said I don't baby them and use them in fresh and salt, I never clean them. I never clean them and I have only had a drag problem with a 5 plus and eventually they replaced the housing and now have no issues.

There are a lot of great reels out there and great customer service will set them apart

I'm glad you had a great experience 

Now if only you could find an unbreakable rod ! :lol:

Congrats!  I cast a Scott Meridian 8 wt in Florida awhile back.  I was also looking at the Loomis NRX.  Was sure I would not like the Meridian.  It was an amazing rod!  Maybe the best I've ever cast.  Great in close and great long.  Most rods can't do both. Every cast will feel like nirvana!  I felt badly you had to pay for the handle replacements on the Hatch and hope you have good luck with it in the future.

17 hours ago, nympho said:

OOO LA LA!!!:wub: Can't wait to put a bend in this bad boy!

Meridian%20pic_zpsyg946x9l.jpg

You will love that rod Nympho!  I had never owned a Scott previously, but now have the Meridian in 8 and 9 weight.  Like Jack, I casted the 8 first and was incredibly impressed.

I will vouch for Kevin when he says he never cleans his reels...