Maine Fly Fish
Sign in to follow this  
mesurfer2000

Flats Fishing Bag Recommendation

Hey guys,

I was wondering if any of you use a bag while wading in the salt. My recent experience fishing the flats in Florida made me think that maybe I should have a waterproof bag for keeping my gear in, as well as a place to hold a water bottle and to attach the lanyards from my  Boga grip and pliers to. I’m looking at the Simms Dry Creek Roll Top, mostly for the affordability as I don’t really fish the salt all that often. What do you guys use? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Hope all is well back in the North. I was going to break out the canoe and paddle the Cahaba river today, but we have some big thunderstorms in the forecast. 

—Dan

I bought a shoulder bag made by Outdoors etc. . It is made for big saltwater lures. roomy enough for three fly boxes, two spare spools, two bottles of water and it has a pocket for leader material, clippers, hemo's etc..  I paid $35.00 for it at Cabelas. its not waterproof but I solved that issue by using an entire can of silicone to waterproof it.

3 hours ago, Kevin McKay said:

Take a look at Patagonia waterproof bags , I have thier back pack and its amazing 

Patagonia makes some fantastic products- I tend to go that direction over Simms....stronger warranty too.

As time goes on,  the more I enjoy simplifying my gear packs.   Fresh or salt, I'm not going to be the guy with 6 boxes of flies with me out there...no need and gets in the way.  Find a pack that carries the essentials, but not something cumbersome either.   

Yup, I have started using a smaller pack to limit the amount of crap I stow. I am with R-factor, the producing flies are the ones I already know I am going to fish before I even get in the car to go fishing. 

I use the Simms Dry Creek roll top and I love it. Big enough to hold multiple boxes, spools, and multiple layers. Only issue with it is the water bottle holder on the outside is too small for my hydroflask, but does work well as a rod tube holder. 

If you're just fishing the flats(i.e. shallow water) don't think you need a water proof pack. I got a Simms sling pack three years ago and don't think I'll iever go to another pack. Tons of storage, easy access and slides out of the way really easily.