Maine Fly Fish
brosa1450

Why the hell...

...can’t I get a hollow fleye to look good! Or even! Or evenly distributed around the hook! 

I’ve tied about 5. One or two last season. And I ventured into trying to figure them out this winter. I am strugglin! I’ve even gone to the extent of watching a YouTube video and followed it step by step. Mal and I got talking about big ol meaty flies today...I need to learn to tie the beast fleye.....

Any tips from you hollow tiers? Thank you in advance for those willing to share.

Soon enough...

Lots of variables here pretty tough to trouble shoot. Practice and good quality hair are going to be very helpful.

The hair doesn't have to be evenly distributed all the way around the hook.  On a lot of mine, I like it to be sparser down the sides, maybe two thirds on top/bottom and a sixth down each side.  

What type of thread are you using?  I find Flymaster plus to be excellent for tying hollows.

Then the real tricky part, how is the deertail your using.  Huge variance in tails.  As a general rule though the hair is much more hollow towards the base of fibers, and the fibers at the base of the tail will be even more hollow.  The more hollow the hair the more it will flare. 

Post a picture of your flies it'll be easier to see what's going on.  There's a few guys on here that tie a lot of beautiful hollows probably have better advice for ya.

cheers

IMG_6733.JPG

IMG_6795.JPG

I gave up trying to tie hollow flies. mine look like electrified chickens.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Mainiac said:

I gave up trying to tie hollow flies. mine look like electrified chickens.

Haha! Mine aren’t quite that crazy :lol:

Pics would be helpful to see what's going wrong for you. Everything James said was spot on.(really nice mackerel!) Additionally, you should check out HMH vises website and click tutorials. Look at Travis Shipman's SBS on the river herring. I found this to be really helpful.  Less is more with hollows. Small clumps of buck tail, discard the shorter hairs from each clump. It's the whole point of the technique, to create the illusion of bulk without the weight. Good luck!