Maine Fly Fish
Sign in to follow this  
JayN

Best Warm Water Fly

I went out this morning to a small pond near me marked by a chimney. In an hour I caught twenty small mouth and largemouth bass, yellow perch, sunfish and a gnarly looking pickerel, all on an orange golden retriever. This fly has been unbeatable for warm water species. I tie it either on a #8 or #10 streamer hook with a tan maribou tail and flourescent orange Estaz body. No need to open wrap the Estaz to let the thread show through like the gold variety. I fish it with either a floating or sinking line depending on depth and often have a fish on as soon as I start stripping. Interested in what other people's favorites are for warm water fish.

IMG_1344.jpg

IMG_1345.jpg

Interesting as I have a bunch of them tied up in burnt orange when I couldn’t find root beer, I’ll have to try them next time. I usually go with WB either in black or very bright colors with chartreuse for bass, otherwise I’m throwing a mouse or popper. Bunny leech have been good for many fish too. 

My favorite pieces of bass harvesting machinery.

Flying Circus Side View.JPG

Lady_McEwen.jpg

Nice flies folks.

Aldo, I hope the bass know how much respect you are showing them with that bottom offering.  Is that one of your ties?

—Erik

1 hour ago, Swede said:

Nice flies folks.

Aldo, I hope the bass know how much respect you are showing them with that bottom offering.  Is that one of your ties?

—Erik

Thanks, Erik! I'd settle for a little more consistent love from some big river smallies....

Yeah, those are mine.  Always messing about at the vise, and usually turning out less than satisfying results (still can't mount a bronze mallard wing worth crap).  The older I get, though the more fly tying becomes and end in itself.

I tied that on an Alec Jackson Blind Eye 1.5.  I have since switched to Blue Herons; they are very slightly shorter in the shank, but a heavier wire (which sinks better) and sport nicely shaped eyes.  Blind eyes look cool and swim nicely, but for durability and convenience, closed eyes seem to be dominating my box now.

As one begins to pursue a hobby, often different layers/aspects of those pursuits become evident over time/experience.  I hope I'm not steering this thread down an unintended path or on the wrong board but reading through the above has me thinking. 

I've never tied, nor would I anticipate having the time to do so adequately in the short term with a 7 month old at home, however, seeing what those individuals who do can accomplish is intriguing.  Further, I would imagine it is quite rewarding having a fish take one's own creation.

For those of you who tie, how did you learn and how much time and $ did you invest before you felt you were proficient?   Is tying during an outing more of a detractor for you or do you find it advantageous to change a tactic if necessary?   Do you feel as though you save money by tying your own or is this more a labor of love?   What did you learn along the way that you wished you knew as you were first starting?

I am self taught through watching YouTube. The basic starting tools arent too expensive, but the cost of materials really starts to add up. The satisfaction of catching something on you own flies is rewarding, but it’s not saving anything over buying the same fly. The real benefit of tying is being able to customize to your conditions and making your own color patterns and sizes. Or like what drove me to tie my first fly, the store was sold out of MontrealWhores and I need them for my first season of LL salmon fishing. 

I find it to be cheaper to tie your own in the long run. The initial cost of materials can be high but you can tie more most of the time for then you could buy for the same price. Some flies are not cheap and think of a cape yeah it’s expensive but how many flies can you tie with that one cape and a couple other cheaper materials. What’s the average dryfly cost 2-3 bucks? Do the math. I also learned from you tube. My problem is time. I do tie but not as much as I should. I used to tie alot

I got a basic fly tying kit when I got my first fly rod eight or so years ago. I’m pretty good tying up deer hair and maribou streamers, Caddis dry flies, and I’m getting better at other dries although I never seem to leave enough room for the head. I’ve acquired a better vise and all kinds of material over the years. I have a friend who ties professionally and that’s been a big help. Also watch a lot of videos, especially Davie Mcphail.  My nymphs still look like blobs so I  buy most of them.

There’s nothing like catching a fish with a fly you tied.

I've just started to tie and fish the Scotty's McFly and it's been working great on SMB and unfortuantely pike that play for keeps. Will be my goto fly going forward.