Maine Fly Fish

https://obittree.com/obituary/us/maine/bangor/brookings-smith-funeral-home/raymond-stout/3502283/

I had emailed Ray a week ago about recording some of his stories and daughter said he was in hospital, so I stopped by his house to see how he was and house was locked. So I did a search and found this.

Because I've been so busy with my own life I didn't visit him last year. He had reached out to me in January so we visited him a couple of times and last time we saw him he said he doubted he would be here next year. 

I guess he was right

My respects and condolences to Ray's family.

I only knew him through this sight, but I would call Ray my friend.

Rest well Ray.

I knew Ray for about 25  years. One of the legends on the West Branch, he fished it for close to 30 years. Ray was a seasonal camper on the Eddy and when he decided to cut back a bit I bought his old trailer and used it on his  riverside site for years. A good friend to all and always willing to share tips on fishing and fly tying. Things had been tough for him the last couple of years, healthwise. Then he lost his wife just last year. I kept in touch via phone and email with him and it was plain to see he was failing. All the old Eddy guys are leaving us one by one. 

I've got a bamboo rod Ray gave me a couple of years ago when he realized he wouldn't be doing any more fishing, I plan to fish it on Memorial day weekend in his memory. Hope he''s watching. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, dryflie said:

I knew Ray for about 25  years. One of the legends on the West Branch, he fished it for close to 30 years. Ray was a seasonal camper on the Eddy and when he decided to cut back a bit I bought his old trailer and used it on his  riverside site for years. A good friend to all and always willing to share tips on fishing and fly tying. Things had been tough for him the last couple of years, healthwise. Then he lost his wife just last year. I kept in touch via phone and email with him and it was plain to see he was failing. All the old Eddy guys are leaving us one by one. 

I've got a bamboo rod Ray gave me a couple of years ago when he realized he wouldn't be doing any more fishing, I plan to fish it on Memorial day weekend in his memory. Hope he''s watching. 

That’s very cool to use his rod in his memory bet he would be happy

Ray was in the store couple yrs ago, got me one of his floaters that day,

I only met Ray a couple of times so I did not know him well, but he was certainly just as some of you have described, kind and willing to help out. I was fortunate enough to get his fly tying vise when he gave up on tying, the very same one that's in that video. I do tie a lot of flies, but I doubt it will ever see as many flies of mine as it did from Ray.

My thoughts and prayers go out to Ray's family during this time.

As a relative newbie to this site, I can't say I've had the opportunity to have interacted with him.  However, for me dryflie's post tells me all I need to know:  he was an individual who had a passion and cared enough about others to help them succeed.  Fitting his rod will be fished on Memorial Day weekend.

Condolences to his family.

Very sad, great guy

Very sad loss to the fly fishing community.  Condolences to his family.

5 hours ago, caught_the_fever said:

As a relative newbie to this site, I can't say I've had the opportunity to have interacted with him.  However, for me dryflie's post tells me all I need to know:  he was an individual who had a passion and cared enough about others to help them succeed.  Fitting his rod will be fished on Memorial Day weekend.

Condolences to his family.

I should mention that Ray was much more than just an old guy who fished for years. He was a retired marine who went  in as an enlisted man and came out a marine captain. He served multiple tours in Vietnam. I wish I could recall all the assignments he had as some were really interesting. 

Ray over the years had become a friend, I was able to fish with him a few time and I own all his tying material including all the stuff to make his famous smells but my favorite story is

I am guiding Jack Lee who was back up quarter back for Joe Namath when they won the super bowl. I get a call from Ray say the big crappie are in. I tell Jack and Jack want to do it but cant for two weeks,I tell him that might be to late. Fast forward two weeks and no crappie but we get a couple large mouth that he wants to keep and me to filet ,well I dont kill fish so clue how to do it right. I call Ray he says come on over and he has some crappie filets Jack can have.

So as Ray is filleting the bass Ray ask Jack if he was in the marines, Jack says yes.Ray says I used to watch a Jack Lee play football at my base, just happens Ray use to watch Jack play foot ball.It was like watching two old friends that hadn't see each other in years.

I just stood back and watched, very cool to be part of that and always felt blessed that Ray took the time with me.

• Like 1

Fished the Eddy for years, had some wonderful times there, and Ray was a big part of it!  Highlight for me was when Ray took me out in his canoe and he rowed us from Big Eddy down to Little A, with Ray sharing the hotspots, flies and stories, that was close to 25yrs ago and I remember it like yesterday. 

He will be missed.

I took some pictures of Ray's Fly rod. Don't really know if this is something Ray built himself or if he had it built. It's in excellent shape, doesn't seem to have been fished much. All the ferrules had a solid POP. It's a three piece with all sections even. The wraps are very elaborate, multi-colored with random wraps. As best my eyes can tell these are all thread wraps and not the cheap tape wraps used on Japanese rods.  I also noticed for the first time that the grip is removable and design for use as both a fly reel and a spinning reel. I know rods built many years ago had this feature but don't know if this is an indication of its age.  

I think it will throw a 6wt just fine but there's no line weight indicated on the rod. 

Rays_Rod_001.jpg

Rays_Rod_002.jpg

Rays_Rod_003.jpg

Ray was an awesome Dude.  I spent a lot of time with him at The Veazie Salmon Club and fished with him many times.  Another older Bangor area atlantic salmon guy also just recently passed away...Al Meister....another good guy.