Maine Fly Fish
Sign in to follow this  
Sflagg91

A Pleasant Morning

Stopped by the pond last night to look around and found these coming off the water

picture.php?albumid=503&pictureid=3576

Speckeled duns so I'm told. I vaguely recall them hatching last year but in June.

I decided after house hunting and spending the day with my mother-in-law on Saturday I owed it to myself to do some fishing early Sunday morning before seeing my own mother. 

So I did. I got there early this morning under grey, overcast skies. The pond was rittled with rings from rising trout, some coming out of the water to capture their prey. This will be easy I thought as I pumped up my float tube and readied my trusty 'float tube rod' - a 9 1/2' Winston Boron III SX I built a few years ago.

I began by fishing my usual midge emerger pattern, a creation of my own, that usually does me well in situations like this. But I got nothing. I went to adult midges of all sizes. Nothing. I tied droppers on behind the adults. Nothing. Then I strung up a clear intermediate line and tied a small green nymph to the end of my long flourocarbon leader.

Suddenly on my first cast: Bang!

picture.php?albumid=503&pictureid=3577

A healthy rainbow was brought to the net after a dramatically acrobatic tussle.

Moments later a fish rose close to my tube so I made a cast towards it. Before I could even strip the fly I hooked him and he immediately jumped.

picture.php?albumid=503&pictureid=3578

Another in the bag. Over the next hour and a half I brought another six to the net with many more successfully leaping to freedom.

picture.php?albumid=503&pictureid=3579

Eventually the clouds cleared and the sun came out. It didn't seem to bother the fish. I continued fishing a little longer. The only sounds to be heard was the splashing of rising trout and the sounds of the birds. It was a pleasant morning.

picture.php?albumid=503&pictureid=3580

The water was 62 degrees already. Things are heating up fast down in the southern part of the state.

Nice job love seeing fish rise really gets the blood flowing. Nice way to start the day

Handsome bows and nice TR Sflagg91!   Yeah, this early in the season of hatches...if meat & potatoes is hatching...not much else will do to entice the trout.  Nice job in hitting on the answer so quickly....

All I could muster on Mothers' Day was an 8" brookie with a #20 Zebra Midge...along a bank, without the camera:rolleyes: .  If it weren't for it being a Day #1 with a fantastic new rod I probably would've given up long before...but a cloudless sky above Moosehead and the driving/sightseeing was nice.

What most of us would give to have a pond with pets like that. Beautiful scenery and fish, thanks for sharing. 

10 minutes ago, Seamonkey84 said:

What most of us would give to have a pond with pets like that. Beautiful scenery and fish, thanks for sharing. 

Technically its not mine. Its my parents who actually own the property.