Maine Fly Fish
Sign in to follow this  
TightLinesMaine

a surprise holdover while targetting bass

Looking a back on my old photos, Mid may is usually the time I start getting into some pretty good river-bass (particularly smallmouth).  I was in the general area of a particular river for some other business so I thought i'd pack my waders and fly rod and see if I could get any bronzebacks to bite (this watershed is stocked fairly heavily with brown trout but I typically don't target them here at this time of year).  Not even 10 minutes on the water, I get a slam while stripping in my BH bugger in a little eddy/pocket near some fast water.  This fish was strong and muscular though it didn't feel like a bass, sure enough after a lot of headshakes and a hard run or two, a good holdover brown was brought to net.  I estimate it was between 17" and 18".  Released after a few photos. 

iqavqnul.jpg

X4y9VO7l.jpg

Oddly enough, I didn't get any smallmouth despite fishing well over an hour! Though I did land a handful of medium sized fallfish and 2 pretty good largemouth bass (which are less common than smallmouth here) go figure, one of the two largemouth was a decent 15"-16" and fat.  Though I didn't get what I was after, I'll gladly take it!  Water temperature was 58*F, the bass bite should only get better when the water hits the mid 60*s or so.

Nice brown. Always nice to catch something unexpected.

Nice! I didn’t notice it in the pic you posted in the other board, but that one has some very nice spots. 

Nice Randall...those browns, once having added on some inches, take care of themselves as well as any other trout...